Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help Please mother and babies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by pop pop, Apr 23, 2011.

1. pop pop

pop pop PetForums Member

Hi, i havnt posted in this section before but realy need some help, we had two rabbits until recently when we took in another, our own rabbits are a male and a female and the female has been spayed, however the new one hasnt yet been spayed, yes i know i should have got it done straight away but hadnt got round to it, anyway thats a bit of my back ground.
    on the 28th march the new female got out with our male! ive never bred rabbits and never wanted to but knew that there was a chance she may have got caught, ive read up about what happens and what to expect and do have homes lined up for them now, however i read online that you should put a nesting box in on day 28 to let mum make a nest, shes on day 26 now and ive just gone to give morning feed and water change and shes had one baby in the hutch:confused:, it is moving but im unsure what to do and if the baby will be viable at this early age? should i just leave mum to it or do i try putting the box in? im realy in need of some advise, thanks

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I'm not a rabbit breeder, but have had a couple of rescue bunnies give birth.

So personally I would leave hutch well alone at moment, if you disturb mum or touch babies she will abandon them or worse.

Hope someone who has some rabbit breeding experience can advise better, but leave well alone!

Hope all okay :)

3. pop pop

pop pop PetForums Member

Thanks for the reply, i know ive read somewhere about not touching them so i just slid her food in at opposit side of the hutch, she has lots of hay in her sleeping area which is where she is, just hoping shes ok, x

4. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

That's good :)

You might want to join one of the rabbit forums for really good advice?

5. pop pop

pop pop PetForums Member

do you have one you recomend? im new realy to online info on the rabbit side x

6. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I will pm you a link, it's very rescue orientated, but I would think people will have experience of pregnant rescue bunnies. You might find people willing to help re-home babies too :)

7. pop pop

pop pop PetForums Member

Thanks thats brilliant x

8. pop pop

pop pop PetForums Member

Just a quick update... mum had one baby and one what looked like deformed baby, both were pushed out of the hay and niether looked fully developed, mum is eating and drinking fine, just sad for the little one but must have just been to early x :(

9. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Bless her.

I'm not sure when you will be able to spay her, but vet should be able to advise :)

Hope she is okay and thank you for update :)

10. fuzzymum

fuzzymum PetForums Senior

are there any babies left? sometimes it is hard to know if there are babies in amongst straw, they bury them really well. If you need any advice PM me, I've done the whole rabbit breeding thang xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice