UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought a kitten about 14 months ago as a kitten and brought him home to my girlfriend and her mums home where he lives.

Now when i first got him home he would only come to me, he would sit on my lap and chest, i was able to smooth him and he would be fine.

this was the case for a little while but for the past 10 months he has been absolutely horrible to me lol. i try to smooth him and he growls, hiss's, bites and scratches! i have been trying to handle it, as im not always over here but when i am im always trying to play with him. But today was the final straw i have to find something out, i gave him some treats and he came and sat on my lap which i thought ok, maybe this can be good. i closed the packet and he finished eating then he sat there still, and just growled without any provacatation, then i went to smooth him and he lashes out.

please help, my girlfriend reckons i should just leave him alone, but i just want to be able to smooth him properly again! he loves her but hates me!!

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
I think possibly the cause is that as you are not always there, he is not so used to you, and has become nervous of you. For some reason he finds you a little intimidating. (Perhaps you are rather a tall and imposing guy with a deep voice? :D ) I am sure you don't intend to be intimidating so it is just a matter of reassuring the cat.

Gentleness and patience are of the essence. When you go to the house, always have some cat treats in your pocket. Call the cat in a light cheerful tone, and let him come to you if he wants to. Sit on the floor so you are at his level and therefore do not look so large to him. Don't stroke him or pick him up at this stage, just put the treats down on the floor one by one between you, and let him come and take them..

Buy a fishing rod interactive toy such as Da Bird and play with the cat every time you visit. The cat needs to start associating you with treats and fun.
Never tell him off, and never show impatience, or you will make him wary again.

He will show you, by either rubbing against you, or by coming and sitting by you, when he feels comfortable for you to stroke him. It may take a while, so don't rush things. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.