Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help please fellow Kitty Lovers

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by eklektik, Jul 7, 2009.

1. eklektik

eklektik PetForums Newbie

Well hello there all my fellow kitty lovers...

I'm looking for a little bit of advice...

On Saturday I picked up two lovely little 8 week old kitties from the local CPL, one is a Lovely tortie lady called lily and the other is a poor wee white ball of fluff who suffers from congenital deafness :(

Onto my reason for this post.... Saturday and sunday they went in their litter tray no problem, but yesterday and today they've started to poo behind my sofa... Is there anything I can do to stop them doing this? I have a little boy who has just started to crawl so obviously dont want him in and about cat faeces.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated....

Ryan

2. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

#2 Midnight, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  3. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Guest

Instead of buying expensive reppellant, i use to find lemon flash worked VERY well when we had Buster :) Just keep an eye on them and place them in the litter tray before, after meals

4. eklektik

I rang the Vet this afternoon to register them and asked her what she thought and she suggested Get Off as well but wasnt sure where to get it, so thanks for the links. much appreciated.

The deaf little chap is an adventurous little sort.... quite amusing when you hoover as the other 2 cats and kitten run a mile, but he loves to try to fight with the hoover instead lol

5. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

I'm sure you can buy it at Pets@home and all pet shops ;) Bless him i'm sure he'll bring you lots of fun ! :D let me know if you get some and whether it worked for you it did for me ;) x

6. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

My niece got cats for the first time & they were going everywhere other than the litterbox. I went to stay with her (she lives in the US), bought a different litter, made sure she used it properly (she wasn't using enough in the tray), & touch wood, they've used the litterbox ever since with no problems. It could be that yours just don't like the type of litter that you're using like my niece's, so give another type a try. I buy a strong clumping litter in Costco (comes in a huge green jug), & it's great. Make sure you get rid of the smell of where they've been completely to stop them being attracted back to the same place - a solution of biological washing powder or liquid works - the enzymes in it kill the bacteria/smell. Good luck!

7. catbasket

catbasket PetForums Member

My old mate Howie started to do this as an adult, just after I'd changed the brand of his cat-litter. It seemed to be just that he didn't like that type of cat-litter ... switched back to Sainsburys ultra-clumping and the problem stopped. Might be worth giving a different type of litter a try?

Aha, I see munchbunch has suggested the same!

8. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Guest

My old cat use to use recycled paper pellets, i hear you can get wood pellets now, or clay. I know cats can be fussy so make sure their food is not too close to their litter tray, as this can bother them!

9. eklektik

I'm using the wood based one at the moment, have used for years with my other 2 and they were using this at CPL as well, have half a bag of clumping type stuff in cupboard, will try them with that

10. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Lol!! The wood pellet stuff was what I used at first, but mine wouldn't use it - would be funny if that's the same with yours!! Just need to make sure the clumping litter is fairly deep for it to work properly, otherwise you'll get a horrible sticky mess at the bottom of the tray :eek:hmy: Hope it works

11. harleigh

harleigh PetForums Member

They hate citrus stuff get a lemon juice thing like u wud for pancakes and sprinkle a bit.
    As for wood pellets my mums cats have used catsan for ages but when she tried this new wood pellet stuff i use (beauticat) they wudnt use their trays so cud be that too....

12. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Just be careful sprinklling lemon juice on fabrics as it is a natural bleaching agent - faded fabrics aren't good.

13. eklektik

right.... I put down some orange peel and some grapefruit peel last night and have been watching them like hawks... and all is going well so far.... they've gone behind the sofa a couple of times but come out and head to their box...

hopefully this will be it cracked, have ordered some of the spray from an online shop so hoping it'll appear tomorrow just to make sure they stop going there

Thanks for the help everyone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice