Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help please - Dog suddenly scared to go on walks

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JenniferEFC, Oct 27, 2020.

1. JenniferEFC

JenniferEFC PetForums Newbie

I have a labradoodle who’s just turned 10. He’s always loved walking all his life. All of a sudden he just won’t walk. He seems to get really exited when asked if he wants to go, he’ll put on his lead and walk outside, but then gets to end of our road and turns around and pulls back home. Nothing has really happened on his walks other than maybe getting a little scared by a firework. So we’re not sure if maybe he’s now scared of walks due to the firework? The only thing is he won’t walk with me or my Dad separately, but is perfectly happy to walk if both of us go (we’ve never walked him together before).
    Does anyone have any advice or theories about what’s causing this behaviour and how we can help him?
    Thank you!

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

As there was a firework, does that mean he was walking after dark?
    He's 10 and eyesight can often deteriorate at that age. I'd have him checked over at the vet.

Torin., O2.0 and JoanneF like this.
  3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Is it only at that spot? Can you take a different route, or even drive him somewhere and walk from there to see how he is? That would be a way of working out if it’s fear associated with that place, or a more general problem.
    I must admit, though, particularly at his age, I’d get a vet check and make sure he’s not in pain (arthritis, etc.)

Torin. likes this.
  4. JenniferEFC

yes he’s always went for 3 walks a day with my dad. Morning, lunchtime and night time. It does seem as though it’s noises. This week he’s displayed signs of fear to fireworks and thunder (he’s never been bothered by them before).
    It was nighttime when the firework went off but now he just won’t walk at any time of the day if it’s with one person. Although he’s perfectly happy to walk with me and my dad.
    I’ll get his eyesight checked out thank you. We just don’t know how to now get him to be happy to walk with one person again?

5. JenniferEFC

we’ll definitely get him checked out. It’s strange it’s as if he now has a general fear of walking due to hearing loud noises when he was out. He just doesn’t want to leave the driveway anymore, unless two of us walk him and then he acts completely normal, until he hears a noise and then he shows fear. We’ll see if he’s happy to walk with one person if he’s driven there first. Thank you!

6. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Dogs can become more sensitive to loud noises as they get older. Can you (one person) entice him beyond the drive way with treats (or whatever 'floats his boat')? If you can get that far, will he continue happily or does it just become a constant battle?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice