Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help please... do you think Marcel would like a friend??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Hb-mini, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Hi!
    Well as the title suggests really, Marcel is 7 months old, was neutered back in the summer and an opportunity has come up to home a lovely 10 week old little ginger kitten, I have space, love and finances for her, no probs. However, Marcel is my little prince, I adore him, he I playful, loving and so much fun. I really don't want to upset him. Do you think he will enjoy having company or do you think he would prefer to be on his own? He seems a happy chappy...don't want to upset the balance!
    If anyone can help me, give me a nudge in either direction I'd appreciate it. :)

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

It is so hard to say - some cats get on brilliantly and happily take to another (and another ....) whereas others just can't live with another

Unfortunately it's really impossible to tell at kitten age which they'll grow up to be

I've had introduced cats to resident cats & it's been great and others have been OK (ie they've ignored each other but no fighting) and, very sadly, eventually had to rehome one due to fighting

How is he when he meets other cats out & about?

ETA - from reading others experiences which have matched my own with Mia, it seems to be that very cuddly / want to be with you all the time / you're MY human / very loving cats who can't tolerate another cat being in the house

3. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Thank you for your reply.
    I guessed it would be a who knows kind of scenario. I've never seen him meet other cats, he is loving but he also has an independent streak where he loves to go out, sit on his own etc..
    My friend who has the kittens has said she'll have her back so maybe ill give them a few days and see how it goes.

4. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

You'd be able to get an idea if he absolutely HATES the idea or not!

However, (sorry:eek:) - I've found the adults have never really bothered with the kittens to much and tend to put up with them (and even have pics of them cuddled up together) - it's only once the kittens are becoming adults, and dominance issues start to arise, that I've started to have problems (if they happen)

5. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

I would go and meet the kitten and see what you think about personality compatibility then go from there.

At 7 months, he should take to a new addition fairly easily- most will live happily with other cats, or at least tolerate eachother. It's just all about striking a balance between personalities, I would say.

In my situation, for instance, I know Spooks has lived unhappily with cats before and I have thought and thought about him accepting a friend. I've come to the conclusion that he could do with the right companion. As long as he can be top cat, I think he would be fine.

It's always a risk, but you won't know if you don't try. If you feel you could offer this kitten a home then, like I say, I'd go and meet her to see what you think :)

6. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I have only once had a cat that really didn't get along with the others, and he was a tom who was neutered as an adult. Romeo is very much a people-cat. But he was neutered only weeks before we got him, and we eventually got him back after his hormones had settled. They do get on now.

Most neutered cats will get along fine, even if they take some time to adjust. Some itnitial hissing and growling is only natural, and it may take a month or more for them to fully accept each other.

You will also have to take into account they will have to decide who is boss, so there is bound to be some strife at first, unless the little one immediately recognises the resident cat as boss. Two toms tend to be closer than a tom and a queen, but even that is not a golden rule. Tosca used to be very close with Jiskefet, too, and Gaudi loved everyone and tried to snuggle up to whoever would let him. and Spetter was very protective of Xena, he behaved like he was madly in love with her. And Xena, the independent little bitch, simply loved the attention.

In my household, it has always been the girls who are most distant towards each other. Steffie and Tuppence never more than tolerated each other, and Precious lorded it over all the other cats within a week of her arrival. But then, she was 16 when we got her, and she had a reputation of not tolerating other cats at all. But the fact that all cats acknowledged her as boss and respected her privacy was enough for her. So she did very well, really.

7. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Thank you both again...

I went to go and see her tonight and she seemed quite shy, wanted to stick by her sibling. Marcel is still young and playful, I think he would enjoy someone to play with. Just a bit nervy about it! He is so fab, I want to make his life better, not worse! X

8. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Thanks for this. Well there is only this one girl kitten left, I met her earlier and she is a quiet little thing. I guess because I love Marcel so much it makes me anxious. I appreciate your reply though and I can see you have lots of experience.
    I want her, my two girls want her, I just don't want to pee Marcel off to badly!

9. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I had Ari for nearly two years when I adopted Rocco. They don't love each other, but they like to be around. They take a nap on 'our' bed on the afternoons, and they sit on the balcony side by side, waiting for me to arrive from work.

But Ari is not as cuddly as she was before (I mean, she was never the cuddly type, and now she's even worse), and is not desperate to be near mommy anymore. I miss to wake up with her sleeping on my chest, paws on my neck and her nose glued to my chin, but I think it's was worse for her to suffer from this deep loneliness, being the only one of her kind in our home. I am an only child and I didn't want her to feel anything like I felt like growing up. Sometimes I say that she still haven't forgiven me for bringing Rocco home. But I think she's emotionally healthier now. She's not emotionally dependent on me anymore.

10. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Thank you for this. Marcel is loving but not needy, if that makes sense. Goodness me.. This cat marlarky is confusing! :eek:

11. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I experienced something similar with Ricky. When I took him from the rescue he was a deeply frustrated, lonely, dependent, clingy cat, who had obviously lacked human contact. He suffered from separation anxiety and followed us around everywhere. If you went to the toilet, you couldn't close the door behind you for fear of him getting hurt, and I have spent quite a lot of time sitting on the loo with him on my lap. He would sleep on our bed all night, cuddled up against one of us, preferably between us.

But as he started to bond with the other cats, he was fine when we left the room, as he would not be alone, his feline friends were there, too. He still loves us very much, and he is happy when we get home, but he isn't clinging to us any more. His friends are either home or in the neighbourhood with him all day, and he is a very happy, contented cat.

He still sleeps on the bed, and he will still curl up against us. But not all night, and not even every night. When we had Gaudi, who loved to cuddle up to him, he would only sleep on the bed with us when Gaudi was there, too. Otherwise he would sleep in his cat bed with his little friend.

12. rachael jane

rachael jane PetForums Newbie

my cats get along fine but I did have a brother and sister that did not just tolerated each other as your have a kitten I would think it would be easier than if he was an older cat. Good luck

13. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

This is exactly what I want for Spooks!

He has separation anxiety, I'm almost certain of it. He's like a lost puppy and can't bear to part from me. It's been hard for me this week, as I've been working and leaving him alone. I feel terrible every morning! :frown:

I'd love for him to have some company while I'm out, and he may not be as dependent. I'm not going to deny that I would miss his clinginess should this happen but at the same time, I don't think it's good for his mental health to be left for hours on his own, given his constant need for me.

It's a difficult one, really, in any cat owning household. As cats are- generally- independent and solitary, they can become stressed sharing their territories. Having said that, I think it's also valuable for them to talk to someone who speaks their language...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice