Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help Please!!!! Diabeties/Rhumatic/Stroke

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by crazyeyes, Aug 4, 2009.

1. crazyeyes

crazyeyes PetForums Junior

Hi

My 13 year old collie has been blind diabetic for 3 years, and is taking metacam for rhumatic legs had a stroke on Monday. I thought that the dreaded day had come to say goodbye but the vet suggested we give her a chance and prescribed her vivitonin and said I should come back after a few days to review situation.

I really dont know what to do with all her health problems I dpnt want her to suffer if these tablets dont work, and am aware she should be on steriods but as on an anti steriod she obviously cant take them.

I want to give her every opportunity if these tablets work but worry that after a few days I am not going to get a clear picture anyway; and then I think the other way and dont want to prolonge her indignity if she wont improve.

She has a head tilt, staggered gaite and falls, like I say she is blind and worry how this will affect her recovery.

Anyway sorry to waffle on but has anyone else been in this poistion, or offer any advice.. I just feel either way I am not doing the right things, :(

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Awww, the poor old girl.

Just look at her quality of life. Is she happy? Does she seem to be in pain or to be suffering at all?

At her age you will only be buying her a matters of weeks, maybe months in my opinion.

If she were mine, id have a last few days with her and let her go with dignity, and without prolonged suffering. I imagine being blind is hard enough, but to be unstable aswell must be very hard on her.

It is of course your choice, and if she isnt suffering, dont rush into anything. You know her better than anyone, and im sure you will make the right choice.

3. crazyeyes

Also any diet advice would be greatfully received. She normally has low fat dry food but after stroke will only eat a little wet food which is affecting her diabeties. Thanks for all advice received!

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I dont want to sway you either way i would never do that.
    We was in this position last year, ile cut the story short but our first springer colapsed was rushed to emergency vet she knew straight away it was his heart he was 7 but didnt know what, he had a heart scan and he has d.c.m(enlarged heart) and was given 4/5 days to live unless we believed in miracles.
    He made it past that, had another 3 attacks was on oxygen, he had 13 tabs a day for heart and lungs, he very slowly got to his usual walks he was amazing, the vet was very truthfull and said with age it could only get worse, it could cause other complications that could take him or sudden death, we lived with that it was hard.
    I always said we would never keep him alive for us we had done everything possible whatever the effort or cost.
    His kidneys then started to fail, had a steroid injection every6 weeks,all this time i was worried he would just die, never once thought of putting him to sleep, then one morning he got up i gave him his normal checks meds and checked his gum and lip colour that wasnt good, he went out side and just stood and stared at the ground he was like in a trance, and where it came from i dont know but i instantly thought montys ill i think we have come to the end of the road.
    took him to the vets and she shook her head and said his heart is not strong enough now to pump blood to his brain, he was p.t.s.
    sorry for this long story and belive me i have cut it short, but after all we had gone through i knew that morning, what i say to you is as you are thinking this way you know in yourself maybe that its near the time, be guided by that its amazing how tuned into our dogs we are, and how tuned into us they are they cant ask or tell but i think we know, i did and ide had a lots worse scares during the 11 months, but never thought it before, so listen to yourself and you will do the right thing by you both.

Keep us informed and good luck with the way you decide to go, thinking of you.

5. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

I really feel for you and your dog, its difficult to know what to do for the best at these times, Ive put my 14yr old Lab on steroids as a last resort, shes doing good but I know its only short term remedy, go with your vets advice for now and then if your not happy try steroids, ok they wont be a life saver but they do give them a "boost" better that than seeing them struggle I think.
    Good luck whatever you decide.

6. davehyde

davehyde Banned

awwww, what an awful shame. give her hugs from me.

regarding advice, as said before only you can really know your dog.

i thought the vet was nice to say to give her a chance so maybe there might be some hope.

does she still manage to go to toilet ok? not soiling herself? that alone can be upsetting for some dogs.

but personally i would give the new tablets a chance, then do a reevaluation.

if then you feel in your heart that it may be time to give her the respect she deserves and let her go with love and dignity, that is the greatest thing you could do for her.

she will understand and be waiting at the bridge all well again and among friends.

best wishes with this heartbreaking choice.

7. crazyeyes

Thanks for all your support, I am really touched!

She is going vets tomorrow for review, so will let you know. She is walking now if I keep her on lead to go the toilet herself but does fall sometimes.

To be honest I am now starting to think her diabeties ir is playing a large part in hindering her recovery, she appears uncontrolled and thirsty all the time. The main thing worrying me now is that she has lost her appetite which is not my Dana. But saying this I am off work with her this week so is being cared for 24 / 7 and have to think about that I suppose.

Thanks again for all your support. Haeveymolly thanks soooo much for sharing your story it is making me think. xx

8. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Hello Crazyeyes,
    hope your girl is feeling a little better today.I cannot comment on the diabetes or blindness however i do have a glimmer of hope for you about the stroke.Our spaniel had a stroke aged 13,apparantly dogs don't have strokes like hmans do,it's called vestibular syndrome and they very often recover from this as our boy did although it took a couple of weeks before he was completely balanced again.He led a very active life for another 12 months after that and died of lymphoma.Obviously he didn't have the other issues to contend with that your lovely girl has but i just wanted to let you know that the 'stroke' symptoms can improve.Hope she improves,bless her x

9. haeveymolly

Thats ok, anything that helps, you need it just now hope things go well at the review, and if its is her time you will do whats right i know you will, and p.m me anytime you like, ive been there and still have hard days, so i understand. good luck take care, keep us updated.

10. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

my old JRT suffered a stroke & she was prescribed vivitonin she did extremely well on them, good luck with Dana xx

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is she on insulin?

Have you tried some nice warm chicken? Hotdogs or tinned fish are also great favourites.

It may take her a while to recover from a stroke. Many dogs do, although they may be left with small signs such as a slight head tilt.

12. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

My seventeen yr old is blind and has recently had a stroke. He has'nt been able to close his left eye since so I have to keep it moist for him. Hes still going fine though...chugging along at his own pace :)

13. crazyeyes

Thanks all again. Just sat with her now hoping really it is not my last day with her. xx

14. crazyeyes

Hi

Dana woke up this morning and was slightly better, ate on her own (although it was steak as a treat - which she has not been allowed for many years), and walking a little bit better with less fewer falls.

Just came back from vets and have agreed that as Dana has put the effort in to give her a bit more time on the medication, and to go back the end of next week, as she has improved some.

Feel so releived, as yesterday was certain I was going to have to make that decision I dreaded, but she has done me proud today and that once again her guarden angel has been working overtime.

Thanks again everyone xxx:)

15. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry I've only just seen this. My old boy Cromwell has had 2 strokes in the last 4 months and I was as panicked and scared as you were. But please don't write your dog off yet, my boy was back barking and loving his walks within a matter of 2 weeks after the first and very strong stroke. The 2nd one he had about 2 weeks ago and even though it still obviously scared me I didn't panic and within 2 days he was back to himself. He's not as stable on his legs anymore and his eyes do twitch if he gets too tired so I have to monitor his walks and get him on lead if I think he's doing too much. But otherwise I've not changed the way I handle him, he still comes on the 2 walks a day , and even managed a little play with one of the other dogs yesterday.

He isn't on medication because he's already on steriods for another problem he has, my vet thinks the steriods saved his life because the first stroke was so strong it would usually have killed him.

I hope you dog recover's as well as Cromwell has. To me the stroke was actually a blessing in disguise, it made me realise how important he is to my life and my family and to appreciate every single minute I have left with him. My friend said while walking the other day 'that lad isn't ready to leave yet, he's got plently more to give'. ;)

16. bucksmum

Thanks for the update,really glad Dana(beautiful name) is feeling brighter and enjoying her steak.As i already said i've had two eldery dogs have this and is amazing how they can bounce back,i hope it's the same for Dana.

17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Im so pleased shes making progress.

I feel so guilty over what i said in my first post :(

18. haeveymolly

So pleased he feeling better today its truely great news.;):)

19. crazyeyes

Nonnie do not feel guilty at all to me it was a miracle. I grieved on Monday and yesterday I was convinced it was the right time too; but thats Dana for you .. to be honest I have had a few scares with her and seems to pick up on the eleventh hour but this one did suprise me.

Thanks all, I am sooooo glad I stumbled onto this website and am greatful for all your support. xxxx

20. bucksmum

How is Dana today?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice