Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help please cats had one kitten n left it : (

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by bigbod, May 26, 2010.

1. bigbod

bigbod PetForums Newbie

hi my cat went into labour this morning so far only one kitten was born my cat does nt seem interested in it ,i managed to get her to lay next to the kitten by keep stroking her ,she clean the kitten but thats it its been a few hours now and she keeps sniffing the kitten then just curling up close by going to sleep althou there no sign of her being in labour and having more babies ,i can feel that she has more in her tummy ,the cat seems happy and fine in herself eating ect ,the kitten seems to be ok is moving around ,was just seeing if anyone has any ideas on what to do ,or why this has happened i m waitng on a phone call back fro the vets

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

VETS NOW!

If she had that kitten this morning... in fact if she has been in labour since this morning, she is in danger.

Be sure to take the kitten along as well.

I hope she will be OK!

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

your cat and her baby need to see the vets NOW.

It sounds like your cat has gone into inertia, she knows she has more kittens to come which is why she isnt being attentive to the other, but her womb has stopped contracting.

get her to the vets NOW and in the meantime put the kitten to the nipple or top her up with formula!

4. billyboysmammy

lol aurelia we must have been typing at the same time.

OP this is an EMERGENCY situation. Morning - evening with no progress and no feeds for kitten.

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Just looked at the time you first posted. Have the vets rang you back yet? Crikey.

Sorry I sounded short and sharp. I only read the first few lines and panicked for your queen.

6. Tje

Tje Banned

neither of you are over reacting... this is critical.

OP... take immediate action. Please.

7. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I just hope OP is on the way to the vets and the light is just the lag. I think it takes about 30mins to go out after you leave the page open but leave your computer.

8. billyboysmammy

nope... definatly online...

Last Activity: Today 09:12 PM
    Current Activity: Viewing Thread help please cats had one kitten n left it : (

9. Tje

Tje Banned

I need some kind of valium type pill for me to be able to remain active on the PF. I am sure my BP has gone through the roof 10 times today.

OP, are you online? At the vets, on the phone??

10. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Oh, that's not good :(

11. Tje

Tje Banned

is this a wind up?

12. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Op we can see that you keep refreshing the page.

Get your girl to the vets now! She and her kitten could well DIE if you don't.

13. Tje

Tje Banned

if the OP is refreshing this page and not responding, I would think this must be a wind up.

OP, call 999 and ask for the firebrigade next time.

14. bigbod

bigbod PetForums Newbie

thanks for the advice for those who want to know and not just asume mum and kitten are at the vets for the night thanks again for the advice and oppinions i will be looking else where in future somewhere a little less hostile

15. billyboysmammy

is she in for observation or c-section?

is the kitten hydrated enough? has it had any colostrum at all?

thanks for taking the time to reply, nobody here is being hostile, its just without replying and while still being online everyone here is very worried about your queen. There are a number of threads just like this that get posted and end up being from trolls. When you didnt reply and were clearly online its a natural assumption (even if in this case it was the wrong one).

The members here are all experienced in kittening, and the situation you describe is an emergency case, and not something to be waiting on. Having had the heartbreak of inertia and an inept locum vet, its not something i can take a blase attitude over.

16. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

People tend to panic but often there is no need. Much depends on what the queen is doing. The kitten would survive until morning without being fed as long as it is warm - newborns are a lot tougher than most people think. It may be that Mum doesn't want to know because there is something wrong with the kitten.

Again, a long rest - even up to 24 hours or more - between kittens is not at all unusual and does not constitute a veterinary emergency. It is, though, important to be sure that Mum is happy and well, because it is also just possible that things have gone seriously wrong and she has pushed and pushed but the kitten is stuck. Now that IS an emergency and I lost a girl this way once, but if you have been there throughout the birth (or at least looking in on a very regular basis with no gaps longer than 30 minutes or so), you would know that this was not the case. As I recall, with the girl I lost (about 13 years ago), I was in two minds for several hours about whether something was wrong or not, finally went to the vets well within surgery hours, and the vet did nothing until the next day. I am sure I would not have lost her if the vet had operated straight away.

I suspect all that has happened at the vets is that the cat is now installed there for the night and nothing will be done until tomorrow anyway - in fact, from what I have heard, overnight care often means simply installing the cat for the night with no-one actually on the premises. I hope that is not the case here.

Liz

17. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

You were refreshing the thread and saw we were worried (a time stamp goes on your profile every time you hit refresh), yet said nothing until now.

People are passionate about animals and indeed this is an emergency situation, and we were worried. I would personally have not slept tonight without you updating to say she is at the vets, so thanks for that.

I hope she is OK, and her kitties.

18. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

A very logical explanation. Experience must keep you calm.

Obviously you would still recommend a vet visit to an inexperienced owner. Especially if thy have never seen a cat in labour before, just incase they don't know what signs to look for?

19. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

What I recommend is to take the cat in during normal surgery hours, assuming the cat is happily settled and feeding her kittens. If she isn't, and there is any question of her having struggled for hours without producing a kitten, or if she is distressed, then certainly a phone call to the vet is needed.

Liz

20. Tje

Tje Banned

If you had the time and opportunity to constantly refresh this page, why didn't you use a fraction of that time to leave a short reply?

Do you like seeing people worry?

It would have been different if you'd just left yourself logged in and gone off to do something else, but you were constantly refreshing this page and not replying. Not very nice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice