Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help please Bertie is injured

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Temporally_Loopy, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

I will of course be phoning the Vet in the morning but would like to pick your brains. Shut B upstairs in his safe place with his midnight snack whilst I went back down to lock / tidy up etc. When I went back up he was in his usual spot on the landing and had eaten his food. I stroked him and he was purring and followed me into the bathroom, it was then I noticed that there is a patch about a cm in diameter just above his eye where the fur has gone and there is just pink skin. There is no blood on his coat and no blood where the skin is. I picked him up and made a fuss of him and he let me touch it with a piece of wet cotton wool. It's as though there was never any fur there as just behind it the fur is the correct length.

I just can't understand what has happened. Any ideas gratefully received.

2. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

How strange. Can you post a photo? x

3. Temporally_Loopy

I'm sorry that I was so alarmist re. him being injured during the night but I panicked. I've phoned the vet and have an appt booked for this afternoon. Unfortunately, after my previous kitten dying (although it was over ten years ago) I worry about something happening to him.

When I thought about things after I calmed down I realised that a) he couldn't have burned the fur away because I'd only left him for a very short time and there was no blistering or scorched hair around the patch; b) if it had got caught in something and ripped out it would have torn the skin; and c) if he'd caused a "violent" injury to happen to his face there would have been blood somewhere on him. It also didn't hurt to touch or cause him distress.

The only difference was that he spent the night sleeping on the pillows next to me.

I am wondering now if it is something like ringworm (although how I don't know and pray not). Anyway I will update you all late afternoon.

Sorry I can't get any photos to upload at the moment because I'd only put my camera on to charge yesterday (having taken so many piccies in the last few months) and I have absolutely no idea how to transfer them if I use my iPhone.

Thank you.

P.S. I feel really bad about telephoning the vet surgery at 6:30am for advice to be told that it wasn't really an emergency (ho hum).

leashedForLife and moggie14 like this.
  4. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

You sound just like me, i am always telephoning the vets with any slight change to my cats, i'm just a born worrier.

Do keep you appointment as i have no idea, but was just wondering if Bertie had a good itch and took the fur away.

I have never seen ringworm in cats, but my thoughts are, Bertie would have patches of loss fur on his body.

Hope Bertie is ok.

Temporally_Loopy likes this.
  5. Temporally_Loopy

Thank you CC. I would never (short of the sky falling in) miss an appt for an animal. He has been rubbing more at his ears and face recently but is also teething at the moment. On Friday he had a check over by me when he was sleeping and I managed to trim 99% of his claws, have a look at his mouth, brush him well (which is done nearly every other day anyway) and look into his ears and wipe them over with a pet wipe, they looked clean. However, this patch isn't on his muzzle or side of his face it's right above his eye.

What was strange to me (and was a reason why I assumed injury) was that he'd been laying on the back of my armchair right next to my face until he went upstairs for the night - I would definitely have seen if the hair was disappearing. We'd also been at my parents' for the afternoon and evening where he was cuddled and made a fuss of, someone would have noticed if hair was being worn away especially as he tends of have his face and chin stroked. The fur just above the missing patch is the correct length so there is a sharp demarcation line as though someone has "waxed" him and, because it is on the white part of his face the skin is pink and shows up where the fur is missing.

Hopefully the mystery will be solved later today.

leashedForLife and catcoonz like this.
  6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Never apologise for caring ,nothing wrong with caring.
    It doesn't sound as though Bertie has done much damage but its always best to check with your vet when you are worried,they really do know how to keep us "focused" :) Let us know what the vet thinks your little monkey has been up to.

7. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Just back from work and checking in. I do hope Bertie is OK xx

8. Temporally_Loopy

Sorry for delay in reporting. Vet was really nice (not one I've seen before), said I was right to bring him in as one possibility, although unlikely because of speed, would be ringworm. Bertie was checked under some ultraviolet light thingy and that was negative, his face and ears were also examined very thoroughly and she could find nothing except for that one patch of missing hair.

It can only be assumed that he caught his head on something as he doesn't seem to have any ill effects. She has given me some antibiotic cream to apply three times daily as there were two absolutely minute red marks within the patch which may (or may not) be scratches - I could hardly see them. She advised to keep an eye on it for a fortnight and come back if things changed re. hair loss, sensibly she suggested I take a photo today of the bald bit so that I had something to use as a comparison if we though the patch was getting bigger in the future.

As it is he will be going back to the surgery in just under a fortnight to be neutered so can be double checked then.

Was pleased that the problem was taken seriously and that I wasn't treated as though I was daft to worry.

Bertie currently upstairs staring at ceiling because he thinks he's seen a moth.

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Thanks for the update, thankfully it looks like there is nothing much wrong.
    It never does any harm to make sure though.

10. leashedForLife

just a thot - I could be completely wrong, but...
    MAYBE he had a small scab beneath his hair, hair can grow "thru" a scab & hide it, yet the entire thin or thick hunk of skin can be detached by a minor bump when it's entirely healed / "floating" above the brand-new pink skin, & fall off, leaving a startling bald spot.
    Just guessing, but i've seen it happen on dogs, cats, sheep, horses, & a number of other haired species, so it's remotely possible he had a scab for several days or even weeks beneath his hair coat, & it just fell off, revealing 'virginal' tender new skin that will soon grow new hair, as well.
    RINGWORM in cats does fluoresce about 75% of the time, but that's not definitive, only hopeful. Its common name comes from the donut-shaped lesions of hair loss, they start in the center & spread, then the center heals 1st, leaving the toroid shape of bald skin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    in the 2nd kitty, U can see the angrier look of the OUTER ring vs the pale healing center, which will soon sprout new hair.

Temporally_Loopy likes this.
  11. Temporally_Loopy

That was one of the things that worried me - it looked very similar (to me) to the patches on the cat which is recovering with a hard demarcation between baldness and hair.

Interesting idea that there might have been an existing scab underneath his fur, although he is petted constantly he has very thick fur so it's possible that it wouldn't have been felt or seen. He does bump himself a lot as he is growing quickly and gets over excited and not always in control of his weight and speed.

Thank you for your interest.

Babyshoes and leashedForLife like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice