Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help please-Aggresive dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by fatdog72, May 27, 2010.

1. fatdog72

fatdog72 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    I need some advice please.
    My wife saw an ad for a 3 year old Lhasa Apso bitch called Sammi who needed re-homing because the elderly couple who had her could no longer care for her due to ill health. So my wife and daughter went and got her. During the journey home Sammi was growling a little but nothing more and we put this down to maybe being frightened.
    When I got home Sammi was in the garden quite happily roaming about and investigating with our other 3 dogs. So all well and good.................until went to put a lead on her!! She went crazy, eyes bulging out of her head, growling and snarling and then bit my hand twice. The bites are only a flesh wound but would be more serious on a small child. All evening whnever we went to sroke her to reasure her we were getting growled at!
    We do know she has never been walked, ever! She is very overweight due to being fed junk.
    Our other 3 dogs have been rescues from people who couldnt cope for different reason's but I have never come accross such agression before.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

Simon

2. jen24

jen24 Banned

I have no idea what to sugest so im not going tobe much hel but someone will be along shortly and im sure they can help!

the old owner shoud have told you about this aggression though, they must have seen it before. thats probably one of the reasons they were getting rid of him.

good for you for rehoming him with you, i just hope you can get the aggression sorted.:)

3. fatdog72

fatdog72 PetForums Newbie

When my wife collected her the owners took Sammi out of the room to get her lead, my wife thinking that was just her following them........now we no different:(

4. jen24

jen24 Banned

thats terrible, they should have been honest, as far as they are concerned you may have still had her but at least you could have been prepared for it. im sure someone will come on soon to help. i dont know too much about aggression as we havent had any problems with ours touch wood.

im sure theres something you can do. maybe call round some dog behaviour trainers and see what they say. i would suggest taking her to the vets though as dogs that are poorly or in pain can be aggressive. but it could just be beacsue she hasnt been trained or even walked before, its all new to her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice