Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help please! 13 year old Jack Russell suddenly acting really out of character.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Deleted member 1472160, May 25, 2018.

1. Hey does anyone have any ideas as to why my Jack Russell has suddenly started scratching at doors and trying to escape all the time? Anytime someone opens the front door he is manically trying to get out. Also looking for any gap in garden Jess and even trying to squeeze himself under the garden gate to escape. He is constantly clawing at all of the doors inside when we are out. I don’t think it can be separation anxiety because he has been home alone a lot since he was a puppy. Him and our other dog have always been fine whilst we are out of the house but in the last couple of months he has started acting really strange clawing at doors and trying to escape all the time. He has always rubbed his nose raw pushing his Facebook up against the door as he claws at it. When let out in the garden he will also just lay in the middle of the garden for an hour whereas before he would do his business and want to come straight in again! Please any ideas I would be greatful coming home to paint and wood all over the floor is starting to get so frustrating! He will also do it if I am at home now and literally will not stop I pick him up and put him in the room with me but he will just go back and do it! Also he is climbing up onto worktops and onto the toilet and into cupboards and things I am going crazy.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would have him checked at the vets as he may have dementia which can respond, I believe to meds.

3. Someone else I know has said this also, they had to have their pet put down because of it, I think I’m just scared they’re going to say I have to do the same thank you for your reply

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Definitely a vet check.. medication can be so beneficial so please don't go on what others suggest.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It could well be the beginning of dementia. I would see your Vet.

Do be aware that nobody else can tell you that you have to have your dog put to sleep. That is your decision.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

How old is he? As others have mentioned, older dogs can develop dementia. In fact quite a number of my oldies have had dementia which often comes out as confusion, out of context behaviours and repetitive actions (a kind of OCD). Non of my dogs have been put down because of their dementia ...we manage, care for and if necessary medicate.

It sounds as your dog has become highly stressed so you actually do need to go to the Vet. Good luck, I know it's hard .......

J

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

That would be a last resort.

It’s worth trying the meds for a while first.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice