Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help on walks

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sarah Trout, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Sarah Trout

Sarah Trout PetForums Newbie

Hello All,
    I am desperate for some advise. We have a 4 year old male pug and 6 month old female pug.
    The puppy WILL not leave my older dog alone on dog walks. she just terrorises him the whole time. She bites him, jumps all over him, pushes him. I release that she is still very young and she prob thinks she is just playing but its getting to the point now where no one is enjoying going out for a walk. We try and distract her with throwing a ball and sticks but this only works for a few minutes until she's back annoying my boy.

2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Keep her on a lead or long line - to prevent her from being able to practice the behaviour. She can play but when it becomes too much - you can encourage her way or physically stop her by having her on a lead.

Walking them separately might also be a good idea too :)

3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I would be inclined to take her out on her own and use the opportunity to do some loose leash training with her. Your other dog would no doubt appreciate a walk without the constant disruption.

I often do this with my two dogs who are 7 and 3 years old, because the younger one tends to spoil the walk for the older dog simply because he faffs around which the older one doesn't do.. They're both well behaved but I'm sure they enjoy their walk more when they're on their own.

#3 Magyarmum, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  4. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Both the above are good advice. I’ll add another point which is, your older dog may only put up with the pup’s rude behaviour for so long and then he may sort her out himself! So, I’d start managing it to give your older dog some space.
    Another (loosely related) point: throwing sticks is really bad practice. Dogs can run onto sticks (the dog of a friend of mine impaled itself chasing a stick, requiring serious veterinary intervention); they can also end up with bits of wood stuck between teeth or splinters in gums leading to abscesses; if splinters get into the throat, stomach or gut it can get REALLY serious. Ask your vet, if you doubt it. I realise it’s not related to your problem, but I offer it as ‘bonus’ advice. :)

Lurcherlad, Sarah Trout and Magyarmum like this.
  5. Sarah Trout

thank you - ill give this a try

6. Sarah Trout

i have a longer lead but i might get her a longer one too try aswell. thank you xx

7. Sarah Trout

thank you - i try not to throw sticks but if i have forgotten the ball i will. ill defo stop now tho. any advice is welcomed

Ian246 likes this.
  8. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

and I've just seen the photo on your profile - the puppy does look very sweet! :)

9. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've got two Mini Schnauzers which are more or less the same size as a Pug. I find the best length of lead to walk them on is 1.8 or 2 metres. It gives me more control over them, because I can hold both leads with one hand and the extra length allows to shorten/lengthen the lead of either dog if I need to with the other hand.. I also find they both walk better and don't pull, if the lead is attached to the front rings on their harness, rather than the back ring or collar.

I think though it's just a case of experimenting a bit to find what suits you,and them, best.

10. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

I have 2 terriers, a 5 year old bitch and 8 month old boy. The pup can be a right little pain to the older dog on a walk, jumping all over her and biting her lead (she's always on a flexi or long line) She ignores him mostly as she's too busy looking for squirrels/mice most of the time. However sometimes she plays with him so he's rewarded for his behaviour and it encourages him to carry on. I find distraction works best, a ball or tuggy toy if he gets too intense he goes back on the lead for a bit. He seems to be learning as he doesn't seem to annoy her as often now. I think it takes perseverance and they will hopefully eventually grow out of it. How are they at home? Do they have a good relationship? My 2 play a lot but occasionally the pup will get a telling off if he gets too much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice