Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help not sure what i am doing !!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by shirlmay, May 4, 2010.

1. shirlmay

shirlmay PetForums Newbie

my gorgeous puppy Bella arrived sat morning so early days but every time i put her away from us at night she barks and howl continously !!!! i have tried the radio leaving a light on and even giving her a treat when she goes in there for the night ...even a hot water bottle but every morning wake up 2 her destroying things in her crate and surroundings .I even tried leaving her in the kitchen but she destroyed things in the kitchen aswell please help !!!! i had advise to keep putting her in there and ignore her but i cant sleep my hubbie cant sleep both have to work next day !!! i dont want her to hate it in the crate as she will be init 3 hours in the day and night time pls someone help xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Hi, I am sure someone will give you advice. But if you are using a crate you need to do the introduction so that its a nice place to be. place toys in there, play with her in there. Can you not put the crate in your bedroom? Might be more settling for her. How is she destroying stuff if she is in the crate? Give her time, she will get there. Some more people will probably give you more advice. Good luck!

Oh and piccys of the puupy would be good! :thumbup:

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Being a tiny pup,just having left her litter mates and mom,she will be unsettled for a while.Most pups do cry at night or when left.
    Make the crate a really positive place,maybe feed her in there,play,cuddles etc.And introduce it slowly,so do small times in there during the day,so she can see you.Some people do put the crates in their rooms at night for a few days,iv not done this myself,but have heard it helps.Also try putting a blanket over the top of the crate to make it more snuggly.
    Make sure she is tired at bedtime,having also done all her toileting outside.Pop her in her crate.Try and ignore the crying,it will lesson.Set your alarm to let her out in the night and dont make too much fuss when you do so,just out to the toilet then back into the crate until morning.If you go to her everytime she cries she will do it more for attention.
    It is hard work for a few days/weeks,but being patient and consistant really does pay off.
    Good luck,oh and congrats!

4. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Was she used to a crate when she came to you ??

How did you introduce the crate ??

Crate training takes a bit of time to get them used to it and see it as a nice place to be :)

If you haven't already make sure the crate is covered with a blanket to help her feel more secure and start by putting all good things in the crate, all food, toys etc. Make sure you drop a small handful of kibble in there so that if she wanders in she gets an instant reward.

Stuff a kong toy freeze it and give her that in there so she is occupied for a bit. :)

5. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

We had my Dad sleep downstairs for the first few nights, so he could let the dog out for a wee, and so she didn't feel alone. She has never had this problem. However we only got a crate when she was a few months old (despite the ugliness of it, her toilet training was not going well). You need to make the crate a pleasant experience.

Perhaps you could give her her meals in the crate, door open. And out treats and toys in the crate. When she happily goes inside, you can shut the door (again perhaps try this when she is eating) build it up slowly. As others have said, putting a blanket over the top may help. Did you get anything with the mothers scent? We gave the breeder a blanke to use for star, so that when we got her she had her litters scent inside her basket.

In the night, try and ignore the crying, you don't want her to be rewarded for it. And you could try sleeping downstairs with her, but you'd still want to ignore the crying.

6. leashedForLife

heres a helpful thread -
    Puppy crying at night - Pet Forums Community

also the HOUSETRAINING sticky and the Pup-Socialization sticky have good stuff.
    hang in there, it gets better pretty quickly - pup is unsettled + unsure.
    i;d buy a pump-spray bottle of DAP / Comfort-Zone for dogs -
    for directions see post #22 of the sticky dog body language.

hope U and pup rest easy + peacefully tonite,
    --- terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice