UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I have comedy of errors and i need some help.

A few months ago I got my first kitten, a little Moggie boy named Gremlin (currently around 10 months old, neutered), him and i have become very attached, he's always waiting by the door when i get home, sits on my shoulders while I'm playing PC games or PS3, always around and i love the little guy more than anything...

Then a week ago my girlfriend and i moved into a new house, it was a long drive and Gremlin doesn't like the car so he was pretty stressed out by the time we arrived, (even though we'd given him calming med's from the vet). I was expecting him to hide in one room and stay freaked out, but even on day one he settled in, demanded to be allowed to explore the house and re-took ownership of "his" couch by the window and all that.

Sorry for the long intro, but now the crux of my problem, my girlfriend and i were at the shops getting the last few things we needed and to cut a long story short ended up taking home a 7 week old male kitten that my girlfriend couldn't leave behind. When we got home Gremlin was more curious than anything else so i didn't think much of it.

But when he first saw the kitten we got a few major hisses and Gremlin ran away, i expected that to a point. So we have separated the new kitten from Gremlin, the kitten is using a room with everything he needs in it, we have done the "smell Swap" thing and Gremlin now keeps asking to go into the kittens room. And the kitten is pretty ninja himself and keeps dashing out to find Gremlin when we open the door to spend time with him.

We have done slow and short introductions, and Gremlin wants to spend more and more time with the kitten, at first the kitten was just as curious, i thought it was going to be easy, but then Gremlin started trying to "Play".

Gremlins favorite toys are stuffed animals, so I'm really worried he now thinks this kitten is a toy?! He stalks the kitten just like one of his toys, paws at it, and then i got worried when he pounced and tried to kangaroo the little guy, i separated them immediately as the kitten freaked out and started hissing at Gremlin who had the "but what did i do" look on his face.

I love Gremlin to bits and I am worried about him and the kitten, Gremlin just had the stress of a move when he has only known one place since we got him, and now an "invader". But also i don't want the kitten to be scared, Gremlin must be and is #1 but I'm just not sure he knows that and also knows the kitten is not a toy...

Sorry for the long post but my Girlfriend really wants it to work with these two kittens, and i want Gremlin to stay my awesome little Gremlin, and get along with the new guy (probably going to be called Riot by the way). So any advice or tips would be awesome please!? And any questions that will help clear this help please shout.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that spid,
had a read through and it all makes sense, and is similar to what i've found elsewhere,
I just haven't found anything that might help with the fact that we've just moved, and that Gremlin is still quite young himself.
Would either of those things have an effect in this situation? Change anything i should do?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
A 7 week old kitten should not even have left its mum :confused: I expect there is a significant differenece in size between Gremlin and the new kitten. Kittens do like to play rough and what you describe is normal play for Gremlin but clearly the younger kitten is too small and delicate.

I would supervise play times together. Fortunately kittens grow really quickly and before long, they will be equally matched :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.