Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP!! New BSH soiling everywhere!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Kawaii_cdn, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Kawaii_cdn

Kawaii_cdn PetForums Newbie

Hi, everybody, I am new here, and my question is about how to stop the aggression from a Bengal to my new British Shorthair because he is suffering from anxiety and is house soiling. The entire story is below, if you have the patience to read, but if it’s too long, the actual question is if there is an actual way of stopping this situation, plus a little trouble (probably jealousy) from a gentle dog.

My dog is already 9 years old and is a very friendly, playful, and gentle golden retriever named Fido. My little sister owns an very energetic, athletic 3 years old Bengal named Audy. I just got a one year old BSH named Kris a month ago, and I highly suspect he is soiling everywhere due to anxiety and stress.

Unfortunately, Audy (Bengal) has shown aggression towards Kris(new BSH) ever since we adopted him and even tries to pound on him when we are not around. Kris is highly stressed out and is peeing everywhere in our house including two sofas with none removable seats(which is why this is so urgent), and my own bedsheets several times as soon after I’ve gone through all the work of washing and drying them. I even suspect he has developed “psychogenic alopecia.”, which is really losing obsessive amounts of hair. So we decided to keep Kris in a separate room with his own litter box, food bowls plus a scratching treehouse where he could even rest on. We also lets him out once in awhile so he won’t feel too bored. Kris seems to be happy with this and likes to explore around and even plumps down and relax whenever he finds a comfortable place for himself. BUT this only happens when we are around, because…

Although the two cats have three sets of separate food bowls, and three different litter boxes, two closed and one open. One in the separate room, and two down in the basement for each other with different brands of litter. Even separate scratching trees for each of them. But Audy (Bengal)has not changed his mind on guarding what he considers “his house/territory”, and even though we have a 2 story house w/4 bedrooms and a basement, whenever he spots Kris around he would glare at Kris and seeks every opportunity to pounce on him when we are not looking/paying attention (he seems to know we do not want him to act unfriendly towards Kris). We are almost 90% sure that this is the actual reason why Kris is still highly stressed out and even frightened whenever Audy finds him alone.

Fido (golden retriever), is not a big problem since he is mostly outside in our backyard during daytime and only comes inside the basement to sleep at night. However, he seems to always comes to me and asks for my attention when I get close to Kris, and I suspect this is due to jealousy. Kris seems to be okay with this though, and just backs away and shows a bit more alert when he moves around. They are fine together in the same room and Fido has never shown any aggression towards Kris. The only problem is the jealousy Fido shows when I am around, and he tries to keep me only occupied with himself. Again, with no aggressiveness shown, he only races towards me including squeezing himself between me and Kris, without physical contact with Kris. I still hope if there is a way of letting them both be happy when I am around, though.

VERY LONG story short, I only hope there are suggestions which will help stopping the anxiety which Kris is suffering from, and stop the soiling. I hope the relationship between him and Fido will increase but it’s not a big nor urgent problem even if it stays this way. I will simply be with them separately.

2. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Welcome to the forum! I am no expert here but Ive read many times that Bengals are quite a dominant territorial cat. It would not surprise me therefore that the new cat is being bullied. I think all you can do is try to keep the separate for now. How did you introduce the two cats? Did you do it gradually?

chillminx likes this.
  3. Kawaii_cdn

Kawaii_cdn PetForums Newbie

Yes!! Definitely!! I’ve tried introducing the two cats gradually for two weeks already!!

4. Kittynanna

Kittynanna PetForums Member

Poor Kris, he must feel so overwhelmed by it all as well as scared.

I am sure other more knowledgeable cat owners will be along to give good advice, but I think you really need to protect Kris and keep them separate until this is sorted.

I hope eventually things can be worked out, but if not you may need to consider rehoming him for his own well-being.

spotty cats and chillminx like this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Two weeks is nothing like long enough when the resident cat is so aggressively territorial like Audy (as many Bengal cats are).

Gradual introductions over a 2 month period would be more realistic in the circumstances. But if Audy has not accepted Kris (by "accepted" I mean treating Kris with respect, not chasing him or attacking him) by the end of 3 months then it is not going to work out and you really should re-home Kris to a quiet home where he can relax and have some quality of life.

At present poor Kris is having a miserable time. No doubt he is very stressed, anxious and unhappy, He can't live in one room forever. There is a genuine risk he may soon develop a stress related health problem such as feline cystitis or a urinary tract infection. Possibly he already has an infection or cystitis and that is why he is soiling your house. Has he been seen by the vet since all the soiling started ? If not then I would take him straight away, first thing tomorrow.

Or Kris may develop stress related behavioural problems such as over grooming (pulling out his fur).

You owe it to poor Kris need to protect him from Audy and not allow Audy to attack him ever! It may mean dividing your house in half with a physical barrier (a door) so Kris lives in one half of the house and Audy and Fido live in the other half. That may be the only way to stop Audy attacking Kris and the only way to stop Kris being anxious and stressed. Otherwise I would rehome Kris.

I would use plug-in diffusers to help calm the tension: Feliway 'Friends' and also Pet Remedy. Both can be bought from Amazon.

#5 chillminx, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    BarneyBobCat likes this.
  6. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

They're not two breeds I would ever put together, for this reason.

Your poor dog is upset but you've left him outside all day, every day.

Bengals are a territorial breed and generally don't do well with other cats.

Keep them separated as much as possible for some months, to calm things down.

Two weeks is nowhere near enough time to introduce two adults that have territory issues.

Very rarely I find myself agreeing with @chillminx but on this occasion I do

Treaclesmum likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yeah, it's certainly a first for me! :D I can't recall finding myself ever agreeing with anything you've said in the past LOL!

Could this perhaps be us taking the first step towards restoring our past friendship, the one we established in 2012-14 d'you think?:Woot:D

#7 chillminx, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice