Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help needed

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by vet-2-b, Aug 4, 2009.

1. vet-2-b

vet-2-b PetForums VIP

my sisters rabbit is a 2 or 3 year old mini lop and a week ago it start to loose hair i thought it was moulting but he is starting to go bold in patches from his head to his toes he dosnt have visible fleas and seems happy he lives with a guinea pig and has fruit and grass every day or every other day has any one got any ideas what it could be ?please help :confused:

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could be something like mites or ringworm.

You really need to take it to the vets.

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

mites can cause balding as they live under the skin, both the guinea and the rabbit will need treating, the vet might want to do a skin sample, either way if it is mites they will be much better off with prescription meds than petshop shampoos. hope the buns ok, the hair might take a while to grow back

4. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

hey it does sound like it could possibly be mites best bet is to pop him down to vets along with guinea pig for some skin scrapes:)

5. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Oh no sorry to hear you little rabbits is poorly.... Im not too clued up on this topic but I think I remember reading somewhere either here or on another site that either rabbits can catch something from guinea pigs or vice versa... maybe ask your vet about it! One thing I do know is its not the best iea to keep rabbits and gp together!

Keep us upated on how your little one gets along!

:D

6. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

I'd say it was some sort of mite but if the vet gives the all clear on that front then it might help to know that my rabbit pulled his fur out in big patches once when he lost his partner (through over-grooming) so it might be that he's looking for another rabbit for company or a bit bored? As soon as I got a new partner for him his fur grew back and he was fine!

7. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

It does sound like a mite, take him to the vets to get a professionals opinion though and they'll give you some stuff to get rid of the mites.

A little side note though, I wouldn't advise keeping guinea pigs and rabbits together, they have different dietry needs and a rabbit can seriously injure a guinea pig. I know a lot of pet shops advice it and even some books say its good but theres far more reasons to not have them together. Rabbits should live with rabbits and guinea pigs should live with guinea pigs, their "language" is different too so its as if you go spend all your time with someone who speaks a language you can't understand.

8. bellabunnylops

bellabunnylops PetForums Junior

xeno 450 is great for treating mites - I think the vets charge about £25 for this but you can buy online for £13 ish x

9. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Any News on your bunny?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice