Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rosie64, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

I know there has been a lot of harness threads lately but I am hoping some one can help me with my specific needs .
    I need a harness that does NOT sit on the back or have a strap running down the centre of the back .
    All the ones I have looked at do either one or the other or both , the one Chip has at the moment has a strap
    running down the spine and where he has a swelling I am sure it must be uncomfortable for him.
    Does any one know of a harness that would suit his needs , hopefully that doesn't cost an arm and a leg lol
    Thank you for any and all suggestions

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Would a figure 8 harness work?

Rosie64 likes this.
  3. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Thank you , but I don't know what one of them is , I will have to look that one up

4. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Where abouts on his back is the swelling? Would it be OK if it sat just behind the shoulders?

Rosie64 likes this.
  5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Could he just walk on a collar?

Torin., Rosie64 and Happy Paws2 like this.
  6. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I agree, if he doesn't pull and you don't use a flexi lead or a long line, I would walk him on a collar.

Rosie64 and Happy Paws2 like this.
  7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I sometimes clip the Flexi onto my dogs’ collars :oops: which I absolutely do not recommend or promote! But they know how to walk nicely on a Flexi and if it’s a quiet sniffy walk they never get anywhere near the end of the lead. I’m a terrible dog owner :Hilarious

picaresque, Torin., Rosie64 and 3 others like this.
  8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

image.jpeg Would something like this be ok for him ?

If he walks quietly and doesn't pull I agree walk him on a collar

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

If he won't walk on a collar instead, give me the full set of measurements and I can run up a harness for you, which could have strips of webbing that sit either side of his spine to connect the strap around the body and the neck piece, so avoiding the swelling. No charge.

mrs phas, StormyThai, Blitz and 13 others like this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I do with Jack too along roads, shortened, locked and looped round hand so it’s secure and just like a normal leash.

I’m planning to custom make one for Jack out of a soft horse lunge line, using the clips and rings from an old harness, as his lumps and bumps are on awkward places.

11. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

The swelling is about 3 inches long right in the middle of his back , so just behind the shoulders should be ok

I can not walk him on a collar , he is not a great puller but can be reactive to other dogs and the smallest amount of pressure on his throat from a collar causes him to start coughing
    and wheezing

That looks as though it is high enough up not to rub the bad part of his back , could you please tell me the name of it please

Thank you for your very kind offer I will see if I can find one first but if I need to take you up on it I would expect to pay for it

Thank you all for your suggestions

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I'm sorry I don't know the name of it my husband works in a pet shop and he got them for Willow and Buck 18 months ago but I see a lot of dogs wearing them so they should be available in pet shops

Edited to add I have just looked on the pet shops website and it is called a touring harness.

#12 Freyja, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  13. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Thank you I will have a look

14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Mine have the mesh harnesses which do not put a lot of pressure on. They are not expensive either, think our vet sells the doodlebone ones for about £8 though they seem to be much more expensive in some places.

Attached Files:

15. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Me too !:oops:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice