Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help needed

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Peterj12, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Peterj12

Peterj12 PetForums Newbie

My Jack Russell Miley came from Battersea dogs home a year ago, she is 11 years old, we live in a sheltered home complex. With us she is a loving gentle dog and allows us to do anything to her and loves sitting with us having her tummy tickled. she goes out for walks at least once day mostly two or three. apart from toilet breaks. She mixes with other dogs who live here and is happy playing with them. She likes all the other residents when we are in the general lounge, sitting on their laps, but if a stranger or even one of the residents comes by with a bag or parcel she runs up to them aggressively barking and snapping at them, When out she does the same to other dogs. This has got worse and worse over the last couple of months. she changes from a gentle happy dog to a aggressive monster i find her diffcult to handle as she will snap the lead out of my hand we keep a muzzle on when she is out as a precaution. we know she has had a bad time in her life and has been to Battersea at least twice and is close to being returned again as i am going to have an operation on my knees and wont be able to walk for a while and my wife is disabled so can't do it. Please give us some advice as we are desperate and want our loving dog to be able has live out the rest of her life as a happy dog. I wondered if she is ill in pain or some sort of mental health problem.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

A sudden change in behaviour always warrants a Vet visit.

She could be in pain - at her age, she could well have arthritis or other age related condition.

It's possible her eyesight is deteriorating, again, due to her age and this could affect her behaviour.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Can you also contact the Cinnamon Trust, they are a charity that helps with things like walking when an owner is temporarily unable to, such as with your knee operation?

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Batteries will surely help if you contact them as they have behaviourists on staff.

They will want to stop her coming back again and with the right management and training she could improve.

Certainly worth a vet check though if her behaviour has changed suddenly.

It is possible, however, that she has been giving signs of being anxious in certain situations which have been missed so she has escalated her behaviours.

The Behaviourist will be able to assess her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice