Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Help needed

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Crazyfarm, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Crazyfarm

Crazyfarm PetForums Newbie

About 8 months ago someone my friend works with was made homeless and I offered to look after their rabbit while they found new accommodation as I had an old unused hutch. Now after months of trying to make contact they have told me they no longer want him back as they don't have the space. I need to find him a loving forever home but he will need to go to an experienced home as he isn't to be fully trusted he has bitten me and my daughter on occasions. One minute he is lovely the next he is grumpy. He needs someone who has the time to give him the freedom he craves and I'm just not the person I just wanted to help him out. Has anyone got an suggestions I don't want him to be put to sleep or end up in the wrong hands but I can't keep him permanently. Thanks

2. David C

David C PetForums Member

Personally i would get him neutered before re homing him as this can calm him down a bit,

3. MarzieBuns

MarzieBuns PetForums Newbie

Hi there!
    I'm not sure how much help I can be but, as someone who has studied animal care, I will try my best!
    Firstly, is this bunny neutered? Neutering (or castrating in males) is a process that will calm those raging hormones right down, as soon as a rabbit hits sexual maturity, aggression (such as biting and nipping), humping, urine marking, digging, restless pacing and other undesirable behaviors can occur. If re-homing this rabbit, I would strongly suggest getting him neutered before hand or advising a new owner to neuter him.
    Secondly, rabbits are social animals, they need company and finding him a suitable, neutered companion may help ease his behaviors, many rescue associations will help you in finding a singular rabbit (preferably female as male rabbits are known to fight) to pair him with or perhaps you may seek a new owner with an already existing single rabbit. A companion to be of similar size to the existing rabbit and bonding should be done carefully, preferably after neutering however it could be done with caution before hand (only if the other rabbit is neutered or someone may have an unplanned litter of kits on their hands).

Another point to take into consideration is that the rabbit may be in pain, as prey animals rabbits hide their pain well to make them less desirable to predators. A domesticated rabbit in pain may show aggression or be extremely grumpy. Taking into consideration you do not wish to keep this rabbit, you may not want to spend money on getting him checked at a vets, I would recommend giving him a health check yourself, you can read more about that online.
    Finally, try to avoid stress for the rabbit, do not put him in situations where he is scared or feels he needs to defend himself. For instance, grabbing him, reached towards him and chasing him can all be considered situations where your rabbit may feel he needs to defend himself.
    Also, make sure you meet the rabbits mental and physical needs, a bored rabbit may also become aggressive and grumpy at times!

Good luck in re homing your rabbit, I hope he finds the loving forever home he so deserves!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice