Help needed

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nicolad63, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Nicolad63

Nicolad63 PetForums Newbie

I’ve got a 17month patterdale and two weeks ago she was diagnosed with a herniated disc, she was prescribed loxicom and initially perked up then down then up again over a few days, now she’s just gone downhill, we’ve been to vets 4 times and on last visit Friday he prescribed tramadol and continue with loxicom, here in lies my dilemma I’ve tried every know way to get Bella to take either medication every day it’s a battle, managed yesterday in meat and gravy but today she’s hiding under table, vet says he will refer her it no improvement!! I don’t know what to do tbh I’m at my wits end how to get medicine in ? How to get her to eat? With medicine she slept all day is this right ? Should I push for surgery ? Will it cure problem or will she be left weak? Please anyone help ?

2. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Member

on medication if its a tablet stick it in Ham or cheese that the only way Loki or Poppy will take a tablet they know! getting her to eat if your in pain, warm it up if kibble little and often, try her fav foods. Are you crate resting, when our Marley had twisted his neck we rested him in crate for 2 weeks and just allowed lead trips to the garden on a special harness, he was on metacam, the first week was awful he was so depressed and miserable so we made him kongs to keep him occupied and let the other 2 sleep by his crate. Good luck work with the Vet and if they a referral is best that's a choice to decide

3. Ella28

Ella28 PetForums Junior

My Nuggy wouldn't take tablets so i applied a bit of butter on the tablet and let her sniff it, then she would take the tablet and soon swallow it after chewing. Lulu is on vitamin tablets and they are small enough to hide inside a slice of cooked carrot, which she loves.

4. Nicolad63

THA
    Thanks, my only problem is she’s not eating at all I’ve offered all the usual favourites with tablets hidden but no joy

5. Nicolad63

Just been in garden and noticed she’s got diarrhoea and spots on blood in stools

6. Ella28

Ella28 PetForums Junior

Get her checked over again. Take a sample of her poo too, it's not a very pleasant thing to do but it will save time.

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You need to check with your vet, Loxicom is meloxicam its just one of the brand names. Like other non steroidal anti inflamatories a known side affect can be gastric issues.
    It may also be the cause of the lack of appetite too. See link for contraindications and warnings. The link is for Metacam which is another brand name of Meloxicam.
    It should also always be given with food, and you have to be careful and stick to the dosage prescribed.
    http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-447613

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. pennyLokiMUM

I would contact the Vet asap as diarrhoea is a side effect and can be serious not to worry you

9. Nicolad63

Hi folks
    Following a further visit to vet yesterday morning and a subsequent blood test my poor baby was referred to animal health trust and she’s got meningitis not a back injury as first thought.

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Oh no I'm so sorry. Hope your poor girl pulls through.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear its Meningitis, Most commonly occurring type in dogs is steroid responsive meningitis, which does normally respond to steroid treatment, Hope she will be OK. Please keep us updated how she is doing.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. pennyLokiMUM

oh your poor pup, my friend dog collie had Meningitis she recovered well and you would never know, at least you are getting the right treatment

13. Nicolad63

Well we’ve been home since Thursday and although she’s much brighter we now have a set back that she’s got extreme diarrhoea, spoke to vet who stopped gabapentin and then prescribed canigest, still on same steroids prednisolone, anyone know how quickly canigest will work ? It’s such a worry I think I’ve aged 10 years in this jast 3 weeks

14. Nicolad63

Great to hear of a recovery x