Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help needed!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by pootle1980, Mar 31, 2011.

1. pootle1980

pootle1980 PetForums Newbie

Hi

I have recently rescued a 4 year old lurcher bitch. She is a wonderful addition to our family but I need a little bit of advice regarding her toilet habits.

She will only go when actually 'forced' to go out. By which I mean being took for a walk or encouraged to go outside. She will not go to the door or let us know if she needs to go.
    She is dry all night after a last wee at 11ish she goes through till 8am but even then she isnt keen on going out to empty herself but once she is out she will do a massive wee and usually a poo.

She does so much poo. At lease 5 big poos a day. I was advised as she was under weight to give her 3 meals a day and I am feeding her on dry with a bit of fresh meat added.
    Last night before I went to the gym i took her for a walk and she weed and pooed. When I returned home she had weed and pooed in the living room.

The same happened this morning when I went out for only half an hour.

Any advice on how to break this cycle would be much appreciated, I have owned many animals equine and feline but never a dog before!;)

2. Andromeda

Andromeda PetForums Senior

What brand of food she is on?
    Low quality food= big poo.
    But the same can happen with good quality food if food isn't good for individual dog. Example: you can have 2 dogs on 1 food, one will be fine, second will not.
    If a dog is doing his business in house after walk in time when you left him alone, maybe he is under stress? So another question is: how she is dealing with been left alone? Is she doesn't cope with it well, that mean you have to train her. More advices you can find on separation anxiety topic.
    If she doesn't show when she has to go outside set up walking times for her. When I stated with mine dogs I treated them like puppies. Every 2-2,5 hours , after sleep, after play, after any activity plus very late last walk and first things morning: guess what? walk.

#2 Andromeda, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  3. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

For the seperation angle there's some useful info at Home Alone Calming for Seperation
    Often house training is an issue at first with rescues, and needing to feed her up can't help.

When you get a routine established the pooing especically tends to become part of exercising.

4. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

hi.
    your problems sounded all too familiar!
    i have fostered several rescue greyhounds and lurchers and have always had the same problem but fear not it can be solved.

more often than not lurchers and ex racing greyhounds that come into rescue have been used to either living outside or in kennels and so are not used to being in a home environment. they do a huge!!!! pile of poo and you wonder where it all came from inside such a skinny dog right?

ok. to solve your issues you need to go back to basics as if the dog was a puppy. start by taking him out every two hours for a toilet break and reward him generously when he performs outside. he must also go out immediately after being fed and also if he drinks a lot of water (which they tend to do).
    as you are taking the dog out to do his business use the word "tiddles" or "outside" as you go through the door and repeat it when he does the necessary. these are intelligent dogs and pretty soon you will have a dog who understands that he needs to go through a certain door to do his business and therefore will go to the door when he is ready to go.

this will not happen overnight and you need to put some hours of practise in. my recent greyhound took a full month to get to grips with it but we got there in the end!

i would also suggest that you crate him when he is left for any length of time as he is less likely to mess his own bed. there is no guarantee that he wont but he should just go to sleep if he feels safe and secure in his crate until you get home to let him out....which must happen as soon as you get back in.

hope this helps
    message or email me if you need more.
    :001_smile:

5. pootle1980

Thank you all for the response. She is currently on Bakers dry food. I thought this one was ok? Is it not?
    Thanks!

Have just read about how crappy Bakers is. I feel such a dimwit. I honestly thought it was ok. Any recommendations for a slightly underweight 4 year old lurcher bitch?

#5 pootle1980, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  6. pootle1980

LucysNewMum, you are spot on. I cannot believe the volume of poop that comes out of a skinny minny! To be honest it does seem a little less over the last day. Maybe as its early days she still getting used to the change from the food at the kennels?

I had to leave her today and she was settled in my daughters playhouse, I left her as she seemed content and to my suprise no poo or wee when I got back so yes, maybe the crate may be a great idea :)

Thanks again, Sarah x

7. Andromeda

Lurches get well on raw food- BARF. It gives healthy energy not crazy one :D

Bakers doesn't list ingredients by name so you don't know what Meat and Animal Derivatives mean, there can be everything but not meat.
    Cereals - not good for dogs, corn often gives a dog allergy sugars- give a dog obesity because they do not digest them.
    I found this, maybe it will help make your mind:
    Bakers Complete Dog Food Review

In good food first on list should be meat : beef, chicken
    If there is a filler better choose food with brown rice, sweet potato or food without it, just meat and vegetables.
    I like: James Wellbeloved, Burns, Acana - one from better brands, Orijen.

8. pootle1980

Thank you! That is really helpful

9. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

The more expensive quality foods per Kilo, often advise lower quantity, so don't work out quite as dear as you might expect. If you switch, start slowly mixing in a little, then 50-50 and assuming no issues, withdraw the original food. I'm using JWB due to Breeder recommendation and follow up research of the market, though he got on with Collard's Puppy to which was very similar in composition.

Also watch out with the heavily advertised products with preservatives to, like Dental sticks; I found an apparent link with hyper over-excited behaviour, which does not occur with quality rawhide dental strips. Occasional ones, seem fine but not the one a day the manufacturers recommend.

#9 RobD-BCactive, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  10. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I've had dogs all my life and they are all very different when it comes to toilet habits.

For example take my danes, Breagh will only poo once on a walk - Dexter on the other hand must have three poos each time he is walked and likes to take his time over it even in bad weather!!

I swear if he were a guy he would be taking the newspaper to the toilet with him.

It doesn't concern me unless the poos change consistency or there is an obvious deterioration in his well being.

:D

11. pootle1980

Hi,

Yes based on your recommendations I stocked on JWB for Willow. Yesterday she had the fishy one and she lapped it up.:)

She has done her morning poo and it is considerably smaller than when on the Bakers food which I find comforting!

I dont mind how many she does really as long as like you say they are off good consistency which they are.
    I suppose its all part of getting to know each other and its still early days for us.
    Thanks again

Sarah

12. Andromeda

It is not about how many poo she is doing it is about amount. Dogs should digest about 85-90% what they eat. So amount of poo is showing how much of food dogs body used.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice