Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help needed

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dive1632, May 25, 2010.

1. dive1632

dive1632 PetForums Newbie

Hi there

Eight weeks ago our cat called Lucy went missing, after 2 weeks she finally turned up after someone had seen her picture on a poster we had pinned up. She was very under weight and looked a bit ragged.We put her in the spare bedroom with plenty of food and water but kept her away from our other 3 cats. She became very aggressive and was nothing like what she use to be, after 2 weeks of this she escaped from the house and did not come back. Last night which is four weeks later while searching some cat web sites we found a notice saying a cat like ours had been found in our road, we got in contact with them and it turned out she was only about 50 yards away the whole time. It seemed like she had moved into this house and was enjoying it there. We took her home and now have to get her use to being back home and this is where i need some help, can i please have some advice on settleing her back in to home life and getting her use to the other cats again as i must of been doing it all wrong last time. Any help will be much appreciated.

many thanks

steve

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My neighbour adopted an adult cat recently and was struggling to get her existing cats and the newbie to be friends, another member on here posted some advice which has really worked getting them to be friends. This is the post http://www.petforums.co.uk/1502092-post3.html. maybe there is some advice on there that you can use.

3. Tiggertots

Tiggertots PetForums Senior

Hi Steve,

I've just recently had the same situation where my cat went missing for 5 months and i've had to integrate him back into our home and get him used to the other cats. Firstly try and keep your cat confined to one room with food, water, litter tray and toys and keep popping in to see her. Have a blanket in there too and have one where your other cats can sit on. After a day or so swap the blankets around so they can start getting used to each others smells, then very gradually start introducing her back to the rest of the house by opening the door little by little. When you feel ready to introduce them try doing it at feeding time or playing with them all together. It might just take some time, but be patient as i'm sure they'll get along once they've established whose boss :thumbup: You could also maybe put on her collar do not feed due to medical condition to stop her going to live with other people and maybe try keeping her in for a few weeks too? Good luck!

4. dive1632

dive1632 PetForums Newbie

We did keep her in for 2 weeks last time and this did not work as she escaped and did not come back. Are we talking about keeping her in for alot longer as i feel this will be a very long process but am just hoping to get some stability for her.

5. Tiggertots

Tiggertots PetForums Senior

Well the vet advised me to keep mine in for at least 3-4 weeks to be on the safe side.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice