Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help needed with new kitten and existing older kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Suecollins22, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Suecollins22

Suecollins22 PetForums Newbie

Could anyone help ,I have just bought a new kitten home and my 10month old male kitten loves her to bits but he likes to pin her and she will let out aloud scream to me it looks like he's trying to play but he doesn't understand he's hurting her . I will be getting him Snip next week , so I'm asking can anyone give me some advice

2. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Firstly 10 months is very late to have your male cat snipped, he really needs to be done ASAP, your kitten, can breed at about 4-5 months. Boy's can be snipped from 3-4 months. Anyhow, Argentium would do this with the 2 BSH kittens & he was neutered. I think it was a dominance thing. He would also 'hump them' until they got to about 5-6 months, which coincided with them being spayed. He never actually hurt them, but, you must keep a close eye on him. You may well find he starts spraying too.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

How old is the new kitten @Suecollins22 ? If she is only about 8 weeks old she is too young to be playing with the 10 month old kitten if he is pinning her down. He does not realise his own strength. Also he is sexually mature at 10 months so quite likely he is displaying sexually driven behaviour towards the girl. What a shame you did not have him neutered several months before you brought the girl in to your home.

Late neutering complicates matters, and as Franlow said, your male kitten may start spraying urine indoors. The urine of an entire cat is very smelly. :(

It will take about a month after neutering for his hormone levels to drop so his sexually driven behaviour is likely to continue for a while.

Given the considerable difference in size between these two kittens I wouldn't let them play together until the girl is older and more able to stand up for herself, 3 months old at least.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice