Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help needed with feeding orphaned puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Rianna26, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Rianna26

Rianna26 PetForums Newbie

hello, I'm just writing for some help and advice.
    I have rescued a 4 week old orphaned puppy and she's absolutely amazing but I'm so confused on her feeding.
    I bough some Lactol(puppy replacement milk formula) and I make her a feed every 2 hours of this and sometimes she has all of it sometimes she has half of it. AlongSide this I have been starting her on solids. She has Billy + Margot puppy kibble and I usually mix it with her milk replacement but this just doesn't seem to be making her kibble soft. What can I try to soften the kibble for it to be easier for her to get the grips of eating this meal? I have heard a lot of mixed opinions of adding water. Should I add warm water and feed immediately (at a reasonable temp and as soon as it's gone soft) or not? Please help. Thank you.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If she's struggling to eat solid food, I would try her on tinned rice pudding and wet food, until she gets the hang of chewing, then you can reintroduce kibble.

The best way then to soften kibble is to pour boiling water onto it and leave it to soak for a while.

The main thing right now is to get her eating happily and I always weaned my pups onto soft food and then kibble.

Have you wormed her?

Rianna26 likes this.
  3. Rianna26

Thank you. Yes she has been wormed on 24th and then it's every 2 weeks until she's 12 weeks old isn't it? I'm just wanting to try and soften the kibble in order for her to start getting used to solids. It's very complicated when the kibble just doesn't seem to go soft lol.

4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

If you have a blender or coffee grinder I would add the kibble and blitz it to a powder you can then add water to it ,you will end up with a smooth paste:)

Rianna26, Burrowzig and Calvine like this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

That's what I did when introducing solids. You can mix it with the Lactol.

Rianna26 and niamh123 like this.
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Boiling water is hot enough to degrade some nutrients.

Rianna26, Torin. and niamh123 like this.
  7. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

If you blitz the kibble you will only need tepid water to mix:)

Rianna26 likes this.
  8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

When first weaning pups, I used to give them soft food five times a day, alternating baby rice made with puppy milk, rice pudding and wet food.

At the same time, I used to leave a shallow bowl of kibble in the puppy pen and, usually around six weeks of age, they would begin picking up and eating pieces of the kibble.

Then, I would phase out the wet food and offer kibble and they would go to their new homes each with a bag of the kibble I had been feeding.

Rianna26 and niamh123 like this.
  9. Rianna26

Thank you so much everyone, she's still not eating kibble but she's loving wet food, scrambled egg, vegetables, her Lactol etc. She's still not eating a lot but she does wake from a nap every hour or so and looks for food so I then make her something and she eats it so it's probably because she's so young and isn't used to solids but weaning is progressing.☺️

10. Rianna26

Here is the gorgeous girly

Attached Files:

Sarah H likes this.
  11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

She is a little cutie.

12. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

She is so beautiful:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice