Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help needed with accidental mating.

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Sophielouiseeee, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Sophielouiseeee

Sophielouiseeee PetForums Newbie

Right I know this is my fault completely! Please no hate because I have really tried my hardest to stop my 2 dogs mating. I have a 2 year old German Shepherd cross and a 9 month old husky female who started her first heat cycle around 19 days ago roughly how likely is she to be pregnant I'm absolutely fuming with myself. She wears a nappy through the day and is caged when we go out and my male in another room as she's a chewer anyway so never an issue in that.but whilst letting them out for their night time wee before bed separately before anyone says anything my male dog has burst out his cage and mated with her I'm so upset we were getting her done anyway but vet advised to wait until shed had her first cycle why is the bloody injection £100 each and they need 2 for the mis mate its disgusting

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Not sure what help you require?

The bitch needs the mismate and it costs what it costs.

Having an entire male in the same house as a bitch in season is really unfair on the dog and an accident waiting to happen.

LinznMilly, Sarah H, lorilu and 2 others like this.
  3. Sophielouiseeee

I'm sorry but nobody will have my male for a full 3 to 4 weeks whilst she's in heat.. the help was to get notice and yeah I know she needs it I'm just annoyed it costs so much for such a small thing.. I was just asking for the rough percentage that she may not be pregnant as I read it's more likely between 7 and 10 days into their cycle or is this misinformation? I feel like the biggest failure ever bit honestly thought they would be fine separated

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

The fact that she accepted your male mating with her probably indicates she was ready, so she could easily be pregnant. I know it's expensive, but drugs are. if it wasn't for the NHS I suspect you would be quite shocked about how much it would cost to get human drugs.
    Your bitch is far too young to have a litter, she may well have problems giving birth as her body is immature. She also may not easily accept the puppies and you may find yourself hand rearing puppies. If your bitch required a c section you're looking at £1000 plus. All in all a couple of hundred doesn't look too bad to get it all over and done with really.

5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hi Sophie, welcome! Sorry it's under trying circumstances!

As already mentioned, a pregnancy and whelping not only will be potentially dangerous to your bitch, but also much more expensive in the long run than the mismate injection.

Another option you may want to discuss with your vet is getting her spayed now as you were going to spay her anyway. It's harder on a bitch to get spayed while in heat, but it's still easier on her than having a litter, especially at her age. Plenty of vets will spay in-heat bitches, especially those who work with rescues. That's another option worth looking in to.

Also, at two, your male is definitely old enough to neuter. You may want to have him done also - especially since he has shown himself willing to escape for the sake of a receptive bitch, and plus now he knows what it's all about, he'll be more likely to go looking again.

6. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

basically, no you didnt
    you had plenty of time to get your male neutered, and make sure he was completely sterile, before she came into heat
    so now
    you have, as they say, to pay the piper
    and its no ones fault except your own
    btw
    the neuter wouldve probably cost less than 2 x mismate and 2x consultation fees

7. Sophielouiseeee

I didn't want to get him neutured as we are planning on breeding later down the line otherwise I would have done stright away ... ringing to get her booked in at vets this morning anyway

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Honestly, why not just concentrate on neutering and enjoying your dogs as pets?

There is no shortage of dogs in rescues all over the country and really only the very best health wise and temperament wise should be bred from.

A GSD cross is not a desirable stud for starters.

Please just forget the idea.

ebonycat, Sarah H and lorilu like this.
  9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Why are you breeding from him? Has he been health tested?

O2.0, Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

You were planning on breeding your german shepherd cross? With the husky female?
    If I read that correctly, may I ask what would be the purpose of crossing these two?

Lurcherlad and Magyarmum like this.
  11. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Get her spayed asap. If your vet wont do it go to a different vet

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Glad to read you're booking her into the vets. Honestly, it's the best idea. The cost of the mis-mate is very small in comparison to the whelping & rearing of a healthy litter, and god forbid she would need a C-section!

As for not having anywhere to keep the male during her heats, quite frankly this is something you should of thought about beforehand before acquiring your bitch. Or at least had her done earlier. Now your male has 'done the deed' so to speak he will be much more determined in getting to her in the future so you need to spay ASAP.

Lurcherlad, lorilu and Torin. like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice