Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help needed on cat rehoming

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by CatLover9491, May 21, 2020 at 7:20 PM.

1. CatLover9491

CatLover9491 PetForums Newbie

Hi all!

After some advice here, long story short but following a messy break-up with an ex I have taken the cat on (which the cat was for me anyway!) I want to change the details from his (he set it all up when we got her) to mine but without notifying him as I don’t want to contact or be in touch with him for obvious reasons. I love this cat so much and I know he’ll want to be spiteful and potentially reject the transfer of ownership once I submit it! :(

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thank you :)

2. Sophie99

Sophie99 PetForums Newbie

sorry to hear that, I can't help

3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

You will need his agreement to change her details from his to yours (which in itself can be a hassle, even though the previous owner agrees. I took on a lovely boy whose owner was totally in agreement with my taking him, but Identichip made it really difficult). If the cat is now with you and your ex has not yet made any ''noises'' about taking her back, you may be surprised that he really has no intention of getting her back from you. He may be smart enough to realise that a cat would not really fit in with his single lifestyle? Has he said he does not want you to have the cat/that he wants her back?

#3 Calvine, May 21, 2020 at 7:37 PM
    Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 7:19 AM
    CatLover9491 and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If you don't want your ex involved at all, then the only thing you could probably do is to ask your vet to write a letter to the Pet Log company stating that the cat used to be jointly owned by you and your ex but you are now the sole owner since the split. However the Pet Log company may still write to your ex for confirmation though, as they need to be sure the cat has not been stolen from your ex (it has been known to happen in break-ups unfortunately).

If your ex refuses to agree to the transfer, then you are stuck unless you take your ex to court to claim ownership. Does he actually want the cat himself? If not he is unlikely to say he does in court I'd have thought.

Calvine, CatLover9491 and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. CatLover9491

Thank you for that! No not made any “noises” yet so I’m probably worrying for no reason! I’d just hate for him to say he wants the cat back just so I don’t have her! But thanks! :)

Calvine likes this.
  6. CatLover9491

Thanks for that, yeah that makes sense as to why they would still contact him! Hopefully I’m just worrying for no reason, but thanks for the help!

chillminx likes this.
  7. Minuscule

Minuscule PetForums Senior

Do you have the codes to access the petlog register? I was in the same situation, I told my ex (by text to have a record) that I was going to change my cat's details to my name, he just told me to f**k off or something nice as usual but didn't tell me not to so that was enough for me.
    Then I issued the transfer certificate myself, but I was lucky enough that he gave me all the password and stuff when we had the cat (cause he knew Ren was mine although he paid the refuge for the adoption fees and therefore everything was in his name).
    I don't exactly remember how I managed to do it all but I remember it was easy just with the ID and password... Now he's also recorded on the french register to my name so I'm Ren's owner twice :Happy (three times with his european passport, although it probably has no ownership value). I moved back from the UK to France.

Good luck, I know this can be messy but if your ex has no intention to keep the cat, there's no reason he'll stand in the way. I wasn't sure my ex wouldn't want to keep him just to hurt me, so I also kept all the food/litter/cattery/treatments/vet etc bills to prove I was taking care of him, in case this became a bigger thing. Fortunately, it didn't.

PS: you might have to change it to premium... I had to do it, I don't remember if it was to change the owner name or just because I knew I'd have to change my address several times.

#7 Minuscule, May 22, 2020 at 3:05 PM
    Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 3:20 PM
    chillminx likes this.
  8. ScruffyCat

ScruffyCat PetForums Senior

So sorry to hear this, I can relate to what you have been through having been through a similar situation.
    But with a slighty different outcome in that my cat went to my mother in law and we sorted out all the finer details amicably.

I dont know what to suggest in this situation but I'm sure there are plenty of people on her who can help you.
    Hang in there... it will get better x

9. Charise Clearwater

Charise Clearwater PetForums Newbie

Sorry to hear that.

The smartest way, not the necessarily the nicest. Would be to just register her at a new vet, this way she’s registered under you. The old vet wont see her again.

Sorry boyfriend. Gotta do what you gotta do.
    Ive been where you are, this worked for me.

Hope it all goes well x

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Charise Clearwater - How would that help with changing the name of the owner on the microchip registration though?

CatLover9491 wants to change the 'chip registration details with the Pet Log company because the cat is currently registered in her ex's name. If she asks the new vet to insert a new microchip the vet will check with the scanner to make sure there is not already a chip in place and then having found it in the cat, will not want to insert a 2nd chip without contacting the registered owner.

Calvine likes this.
  11. Charise Clearwater

Charise Clearwater PetForums Newbie

ok well my solution would be useless. In the post from Catlover941 it does not once mention any microchip.

12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Not in so many words, but the whole thread has been about getting chip details transferred so we sort of assumed you would have taken that as a given. Let's hope @CatLover9491 lets us know how things are panning out! I don't think her boyfriend will try to stymie her attempts to get the cat into her name, somehow. Obviously, as the sole owner he would be responsible for vet bills, insurance etc. which might not appeal too much to him.

#12 Calvine, May 24, 2020 at 11:49 AM
    Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 11:58 AM
    Minuscule and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice