Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help needed - kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cazz_mm, May 6, 2020.

1. Cazz_mm

Cazz_mm PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm just looking for a bit of advise. Yesterday my friend called to say she had rescued a 6 week old kitten from her stable yard and could I offer it a home.

Of course I said yes and she drove 90 min or so to bring it to me (social distancing observed, she placed the carrier on my driveway and then backed off). She did say that the girls who had taken it had said it was 6 weeks and she thought it looked a but small, but that the rest of the litter had been found dead and they hadn't seen mum. (Apparently every year they get kittens there and then they find bodies... They were determined to save this one).

Anyway, we think it is a boy, it has tiny teeth, eyes are open but ears look tiny, is somewhere between crawling and walking. My main question is how old? We think 3 to 4 weeks and have been trying to feed as such. But he doesn't want to eat (lactol) so its a bit of a struggle. Also I can stimulate him to wee, but not poo - does anyone have any advise.

Obviously we can go to a vet if needs be, but social distancing makes it harder. Also, he is fiesty and loud and inquisitive so not sickly. What signs do we look for that he needs vet help? And how long with no poos?

He was clearly taken too early, but we are trying to figure out what is best going forwards.

Thanks! (sorry its a long post!)

2. Cazz_mm

Cazz_mm PetForums Newbie

3. Blackcat2000

Blackcat2000 PetForums Junior

Sorry cant help but he looks ever so sweet

4. Cazz_mm

Cazz_mm PetForums Newbie

Thanks, he really is sweet, I'm just a bit stressed that we might be doing something wrong!

5. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome :)

Little one is VERY young, his eyes are very blue so I guess he/she is 5 weeks maybe. I would honesty take little one to your vets, for a good check up, fleas worms all these parasites are deadly. They will also check if little one is dehydrated. Tiny kittens can go down hill fast, I don’t mean to frighten you as little one seems to be a fighter but better to be cautious.

6 yrs ago we found 3 black cats dumped, all 6 weeks, all starving, all dehydrated, all covered in fleas and had worms, they were in the vets for 3 days under observation.

good luck and keep us updated

buffie likes this.
  6. Cazz_mm

Cazz_mm PetForums Newbie

Thanks, we feel he isn't 5 weeks yet, we'd be more comfortable if he was...!

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Cazz_mm - if he is not yet walking with confidence my guess would be he is less than 4 weeks old. They are a bit unco-ordinated still at that age. But I would expect him to have progressed past crawling if he is at least 3 weeks old.

Anyway, he is very cute! :)

Is he eating cat food OK? If not you will need to cat some kitten replacement milk powder. Either Cimicat or Royal Canin Babycat. The vet will sell it. Or you can buy it online.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cimicat-Milk-Substitute-Cats-250/dp/B072FNXN1F/ref=sr_1_1?crid=31WEC1GCLPYGY&dchild=1&keywords=cimicat+kitten+milk&qid=1588781852&sprefix=cimicat,aps,141&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Canin-Baby-Cat-Milk/dp/B001MZUX04/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3R6RG319SCW5S&dchild=1&keywords=royal+canin+babycat+milk&qid=1588781914&sprefix=royal+canin+babycat+milk,aps,144&sr=8-1

Might be quicker to get it from the vet.

To get him to eat cat food mash it up with a little warm water from the kettle, so the food is sloppy. Then serve it on a flat plate - e.g. a tea plate or a salad plate. Be prepared for the little one to get rather messy when he eats, this is normal for young kittens. Just wipe him clean after with a warm flannel.

Is he peeing and pooing alright?

8. Cazz_mm

Cazz_mm PetForums Newbie

He is weeing... No poos :(
    He dies seem playful and we managed to get some purrs...

9. Cazz_mm

Cazz_mm PetForums Newbie

*does!!

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

#10 chillminx, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  11. Cazz_mm

Cazz_mm PetForums Newbie

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good :(.. Do you know much about it? The article says to keep cats with it as indoor cats, but we have 2 others that go out, would we still be OK keeping him?

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am sorry I don't know a great deal, as I have never had a cat of my own with CH. We have had a few kittens with CH at the Shelter I volunteer with, and we managed to home all of them as indoor cats, and they have been fine.

You will need to check with your vet if kitty has CH. Her balance is quite wobbly for a kitten of her size and if she really is 6 weeks old.

if you keep her you could not let her outdoors. You will need a microchipped cat flap on your back door for the other 2 cats, but fitted back to front so the scanner is on the inside not the outside. This will allow the adult cats' chips to be read by the scanner. But the kitten won't be able to get out.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/cerebellar-hypoplasia-in-cats

#12 chillminx, May 7, 2020
    ewelsh likes this.
  13. Cazz_mm

Cazz_mm PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your input. We spoke to the vet today, but they weren't keen for us to go straight in. We will speak to them again in the morning!!

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

You could maybe email the vet the video of the kitten. But the vet may want to see her in reality before making a diagnosis.

She is a cute wee thing, I hope you can keep her.

ewelsh likes this.
  15. Cazz_mm

Cazz_mm PetForums Newbie

I'll keep you updated, but I'm not sure we would be able to do the whole catflap thing.... We would need to get a whole new door :( as our current flap is small dog sized.

I do know of people who foster kittens locally to me, I'm devastated to think we may need to speak to them... :Arghh

16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If your current flap is a microchipped one all you need to do is turn it round so it works the opposite way. It does mean the scanner will be outside so you would need to fix a little shelf right above the catflap on the outside of the door to protect the mechanism from the rain and snow. It's really easy I promise.

if the flap is not a microchipped one then yes you would need to fit one.

Does the kitten walk normally at all, or does she keep losing her balance all the time like she does in the video? As you already have some experience of cats did you not think there is something abnormal about how kitty walks?

ewelsh likes this.
  17. Cazz_mm

Cazz_mm PetForums Newbie

Our cat flap isn't a microchip one, it's actually way bigger than a normal flap, but we use the sliding 'lock' plate to make it smaller.

I have never had a baby this small, 6-7weeks was the youngest I have had, but the teeth, eyes and ears suggests this one is 3-4weeks, so we're not sure whether it is just too young to be walking properly... We have no idea when it was actually born. If I had known just how small it was I would have told them to leave it be, but as they said 6 weeks I didn't question it.

As today has gone on though, my main concern at the moment is a lack of it pooing, which I know should be at least once a day and this is now 2 days we have had it...

18. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

What a sweet little one.

Unfortunately the video is not clear enough to indicate whether the kitten has CH or not - there is a lot of human hand interference and the kitten only walks a handful of steps. To accurately establish if a kitten has CH, they need to be observed walking a number of steps in a straight line.

Little one is extremely young, and at 3-4 weeks they can still be pretty wobbly. Some kittens are very slow to develop - it's not unheard for 4 week old kittens to still be crawling instead of walking.

Stimulating to poop is a tricky thing to learn, so keep trying. Also have a chat with your vet, you may need to book little one in for an enema is constipated. It may be worth contacting the local foster people, so they can give you practical help and demonstrations on hand rearing, its a difficult job but very rewarding. It would be easy to show you how whilst observing social distancing.

#18 Rufus15, May 7, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2020
    Treaclesmum and spotty cats like this.
  19. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Gorgeous kitten! I think his balance looks normal for a kitten of around 4 weeks and he seems lively as you say. But please ring the vet for advice on feeding and toileting!

Rufus15 and spotty cats like this.
  20. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Try not to worry, as Rufus and TM said she looks fine. The video doesn't show her doing anything unusual in the small area she was placed in.

How much does she weigh? That will give an indication of age.

#20 spotty cats, May 7, 2020
    Rufus15 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice