Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help needed for my Lhasa's diet

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kuro231, Aug 16, 2009.

1. kuro231

kuro231 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of help with my 7 year old Lhasa's diet problems. For years he's had Pedigree wet food and alway's seemed to love it. I changed his diet to Arden Grange dry food a couple of months ago. The main reason for the change being he's always had problems with his anal glands, recently resulting in an abcess. The other reason was reading on here about the rubbish it contains. After this I decided to chage his diet.

The problem is that when I take him for a walk he has on average 5 poos! The first will be a normal solid stool, the second stool will be soft and so on, resulting in what I now call a 'ghost poo' where he'll basically strain to produce a little brown water, if anything at all. This has been happening for about the last six months whilst on the Pedigree and Arden Grange.

I'm a bit stuck now as what to do. Whilst he's been eating the Arden Grange dry food it doesn't seem as though he likes it, more just eating because he has to. Is it time to try another food or are there any other solutions?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards
    Andy

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Am i right in saying hes on Pedigree and AG?

If so, cut out the Pedigree and try mixing something like Naturediet in. If he is dairy tolerant, you could also give him some probiotic yogurt to aid digestion.

3. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i agree with this post:)

4. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Hi Andy, I've got 3 lhasa's and my oldest was on pedigree dry food for a while with no problem at all, wet food of any kind would make him poo a lot more so I stopped feeding that but still kept on giving the pedigree dry food but I've always given table scraps as well... lol if you can call it that... lasagne, spag bol, hot pot, cottage pie, cooked dinners etc ;)

Since increasing my 'pack' I've got them on Royal Canin 'shih tzu' but still give them lots of other stuff... raw chicken wings, raw lamb bones, raw mince, cooked sausages, sardines and left overs.

I give the raw chicken wings (1 each) about 3 times a week, lamb bones once a week, mince mixed in with the royal canin once a week, sardines for breakfast twice a week, cooked sausages cut up and mixed in with the royal canin now and then (maybe once a week as I don't like giving them too much pork) and left overs when available. They also enjoy a slice of toast dripping with margerine.

None of them have soft poos and all are in full coat so if they did have a soft one... I'd know about it lol ;) They don't poo so much either, maybe twice a day and from clearing up after them can say that they're poos are what I call 'text book' poos, usually one strip that's firm and formed.

They're having chicken dinner for tea today :D

5. kuro231

kuro231 PetForums Newbie

Sorry, after re-reading my post it does sound like that but no, he was on Pedigree wet food but I then changed to AG.

He does seem to prefer wet food so after reading all the replies would it be better to mix the dry AG with some wet food. Have seen James Wellbeloved do a wet food, would this be OK? Will also try some probiotic yoghurt.

Stupid question time, lol, how do I know if he's dairy tolerant?

Many thanks for all your replies, all very helpful.

6. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

If he's dairy intolerant the yoghurt will go through him like lightening;)

Sorry nothing of use to add - all mine are fed raw so dont know anything much about Complete foods;)

7. kuro231

kuro231 PetForums Newbie

Made me laugh! Mines cut quite short, but unfortunately, I can still tell!

[​IMG]

8. kuro231

kuro231 PetForums Newbie

Thanks Jo P, I'll give him some this afternoon, then put him in the garden for a while!

Beautiful Rotty's, look after my friends 2 when they go on holiday. Got the chance of a puppy from my brother in laws parents, just can't decide whether to have one or not.

9. kuro231

kuro231 PetForums Newbie

Any more advice?

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Are you feeding anything apart from the AG? Any treats, bones, things like that?

11. kuro231

kuro231 PetForums Newbie

Hi Nonnie,

He gets the odd treat but only stuff like dried liver etc, I don't like giving him any old rubbish.

12. Megs Mum

Megs Mum PetForums Junior

I have recentley discovered Wainwrights dry and wet food from pets at home, my meg was a very fussy eater before and i would have to change her food every 2 weeks cos she got bored! the wet food has been great,its reasonably priced and she has put on weight which we had hoped for cos she was rather skinny!

anyway might be worth a look, theres no wheat or dairy etc in it and i think its 65% meat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice