Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help needed for finding another rabbit for you male.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by lizzie12345, Jan 12, 2021.

1. lizzie12345

lizzie12345 PetForums Newbie

Hi, recently (just over a month ago) we became owners of two male rabbit. Sadly around 2 of weeks ago one of our male rabbits became really unwell, so we took him to the vets where he was put on a drip IV and was given strong antibiotics, with the vet hoping that it was just a infection, however he was fairly confident that the rabbit wouldn't survive due to how weak he was. Over the next two weeks he began to make steady improvements, and was believed by the vet to be out of the woods. However, late last night he became quite unwell again, so we planed to take him back to the vets early the next day. Unfortunately however he did not make it through the night. I have posted this because I was looking for some advice (I am an experienced pet owner but this is my first time owning rabbits). Due to the sudden death, we have been left with our young male rabbit who is now alone, which we feel is unfair on him as the only time he has been alone was when when had to separate them when our other rabbit got sick. Currently we are looking for another rabbit so that he wont have to live alone. He is 12 weeks old, and vaccinated, and we have arranged with the vet to get him neutered (when he is old enough), so ideally we are looking for another young male. However, this is proving difficult. We have search online (breeders and rescues), and we haven't really found anything suitable as of yet. The idea was raised about whether it would be possible to house a female and a male together (as we can only seem to find females), and then get them spayed and neutered when they are old enough. I don't know how responsible or safe this is, as I obviously am not looking to breed him. Any advice on bonding rabbits, and who we could potentially bond with him, (or if you have been in the same situation) would be much appreciated.

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

You’re best to wait until he’s neutered, allowed a month to heal, and find a rescue and spayed female.

male/female neutered pairs are more secure than same sex.

bonding is down to personalities though, you could buy a female, keep them separate until they’re neutered and healed up, but they could then be incompatible personalities. A good rescue can match make. It took my boy 3 girls to find his match, he fought with the first two but the third was just right.

3. lizzie12345

lizzie12345 PetForums Newbie

Thank you!

I think this is properly the best idea, don't want any baby rabbits. I am glad that your rabbit found a great match. Hopefully mine will find one to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice