Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help needed for 5 day old bubba's

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by wrinkles, Jun 23, 2009.

1. wrinkles

wrinkles PetForums Member

Hi all. im looking for some advice regarding my 5 day old kittens. i am currently hand rearing them, and have been since they were 12 hours old due to circumstances out of my control :( so far so good, even though id forgotton how tired you can get! lol im feeding them every 2 hours day and night and all are gaining nicely. they are active little bubba's who now seem to 'know' me, and even purr :eek: anyway sorry to go on {lack of sleep makes me do that!} one of the babies seem's to be getting consipated, i tried adding more water to her milk, but as of this morning we've had no poo for 15 hours :confused: up until this point she was going 3/4 times a day. as im sure you can all imagine this babies mean ALOT to me, and id be heart broken if anything happens now. so my question is there anything i can give/do for her? or should i get her straight to the vets?? thanks for all your help :D

2. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Hi,

I presume you have tried wiping their bums with some warm moist cotton wool?

3. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

congrats on what you are doing. But ditto Elmstar, If you have not tried that yet. Normally the mother would lick round there bums, almost stimulates it to get going. Thats the only thing i can think of at the mo. Good luck

4. wrinkles

hi, thanks for reading my post :D yep ive been stimulating them before and after each feed, and usually they have pooed no probs. iread it can be a sign of the milk being to rich, tho im making it down to the letter on the tub. i did add some extra water through the night, but still no sucess! i remember giving my children a drop of sugar water when they were babies to help things along.......but not sure if it would do harm to the kittens. with there blood sugar level's ect? they are due a feed now, so ill try again, and if nothing happens think a phone call to the vet. see what they recommend. im so attached to the little girls already :eek: they are so worth no sleep! thanks again ;)

5. wrinkles

we have poo!!!!!!!!!! thanks guys for being there :D

6. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

yay!!:D:thumbsup::thumbup::thumbup1:

7. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

aww great news, your doing a great job,;) :)

8. Missymoo

Missymoo PetForums Senior

Yay!! i can imagin how worried you were!! glad all is well now :D:D:D:D

9. wrinkles

thanks guy's :D it is hard work, but they are worth every minuet of lost sleep :D

10. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Constipation is a well known problem with hand reared kittens. And I hate to tell you but you ain't seen nothing yet, just wait till they are bigger and start fighting each other for the milk and spilling it all over themselves :D You will get very attached to them, that's for sure.

Liz

11. wrinkles

i cant wait until they are older, ill feel more in a 'safe' zone once they are up and about. i hand reared a little lad last year for a friend........giving him back was one of the most upsetting things ive ever done. at least with these bubba's both will be staying with me ;) if any one has any tips for sucessful hand rearing id be most greatful :D and sorry for the awful spelling ect......im soooooo tired! lol

12. Supernova

Supernova PetForums Junior

Hi there,

I can totally relate to where you are coming from we seem to have been hand rearing our early generation kittens for most of this year! Ok slight exageration but yes 2 hourly feeds are very exhausting.

Constipation is a nightmare. Our vet has given us liquid parafin to help out with severe constipation and I have to say it usually does work.

I find this site very informative for handrearing kittens :)

HAND REARING KITTENS

13. wrinkles

hi, thanks for link ;) will read it over once eye's are focused! i rang my vet yesterday and he suggested a drop of olive oil ? but ill ask he for the stuff you recommend. we are on day 6 today!!!!! so only another few weeks of no sleep! lol

14. wrinkles

hey supernova. im still having a bit of trouble with one of my babies, so was thinking of giving the paraffin a try. do i need to get it from my vets? he's being a bit stubborn at the min and saying olive oil will do it, but ive no luck as yet and we are coming up for 24 hours now without movement :( if i can get hold of some, what would you recommend as a starting dose for 7 day old kittens? ive done a bit of research online and they are saying 0.5ml. does that sound about right to you? thanks for you help in advance :D

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You should be able to get liquid paraffin from a chemists.

16. wrinkles

thats great thanks ;) any idea's on amounts to give? dont wanna make a bad thing worse!

17. wrinkles

just a quick update if no one minds :D both bubba's are doing well!! after a quick dash to the vets for some constipation medicine they are both now pooing regulary;) today is day 8, so please everyone keep everything crossed we can make it. these little girls mean so much :eek:

18. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Everything's crossed, you're doing a great job :D

19. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I find that lactolose is a million times better than the liquid parra

you can buy that from the chemist or the vets, I wouldnt know the doseage though, my older cat is over a stone & very big and has 4 mls per day, sometimes 5 or 6 if he is bad

so im not sure how the doseage would work or if its ok for kits?

20. wrinkles

hi taylorbaby. thats the stuff the vet gave me ;) they are allowed 0.25ml twice a day. i gave it yesterday afternoon, and by the evening we had lift off!! bless her she wrapped her paw around my finger and nodded off, must have felt so much better for her :eek: ive been instructed to only give it when needed, so she hasnt had any today. but if she seems restless this afternoon and no poo again ill give her another lot. god im sad, getting excited about poo! lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice