Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

*** help needed - blackbirds **

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Little-moomin, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Little-moomin

Little-moomin PetForums VIP

I have posted this in bird chat but I need replies so I am posting it here as well.

Some of you may have read my previous thread about the baby blackbird who for an unkown reason was found out of the nest along with 2 dead siblings. Has survived yesterday and the night and today - parents feeding it constantly. It has been hoping about and we have locked our 4 cats in however...

There is a stray around who we locked with food in our shed however we went to check on him and he escaped. We are currently trying to get him back in however we may not manage.

There is another stray who we and our neighbor have adopted, he is in her house at the moment but she does not think she will be able to keep him in all night. Earlier on I am pretty sure he saw movement in the bushes and I had to grab him incase he went of to investigate.

Here is the dilemma - If the cats are out, I am almost certain the little guy has had it and will be killed. I have grown fond of it and feel he is so close to fledging and surviving and can't bear the thought of him dying.

I don't want to to interfere with the parents and him, but i it would be better I am willing to take him in a box into the shed for the night and then replace him in our garden tomorrow

This is only if the cats are out

So I want opinions on what I should do please - I want to do the best for the bird

EXTRA INFO - I dont know how old the chick is - it has feathers but under its wings it is still a bit bald. It has no tail feathers. It has flapped it wings though.

2. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Provided you're up early or the babies gonna go hungry.It might work.

3. Little-moomin

Little-moomin PetForums VIP

Somehow this baby bird has survived the night again, without me, in the end we could not do anything and both cats were outside. Went out this morning and the baby bird is on a branch fighting fit :D The cat is asleep in the bushes though :eek:

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Don't touch the baby hun. Leave it to it. If you do as much as you can to keep the cats away, that is really the limit of what you can do without interfering with nature.

Glad to hear it survived another night :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice