Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help needed!!! ASAP

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by princesspinky, Jul 28, 2009.

1. princesspinky

princesspinky PetForums Junior

Hi guys,

I am new on here, i do not have a dog myself but i help out walking and training for my local RSPCA branch. We have got a red and white 10 month old English Bull in names Chester. He has been rehomed once and brought back because of his nipping and naughty behavier.

I love Chester so much i think he is a wonderful dog, we just need to sort this naughtiness out.

I am taking him to a training class tonight, there are usually around 8 other dogs there all at beginner stage too.

This will be his second class. Problem is, last time it was a disaster, he would not listen to a word i said was just simply bothered in other dogs! He is not nasty to other dogs just excited! Basically i could not get his attention never mind getting him to sit or anything

Just need some training advice guys, realy want him to go to a good home! But he is like a bull at a gate and has no manners at all!
    How can i get his attention at training?
    Any advice at all is appreciated?

Thank you.

Lauren xx

#1 princesspinky, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Ok try taking him for a big walk before the class to get rid of some of that energy, and don't feed him before he goes, he will be more likely to listen to you if he wants to work for his treats, and will be more focused if he is not full of energy :)

Good luck! :) He sounds lovely.

x

3. princesspinky

This is the naughty little sod! LOL

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Ok here is your solution- put him in a large box, and adress it to me!! :D:D

He is absolutely gorgous! I want him :D

I have trained a deaf EBT I'm sure this one can;t be much worse? Hehe :D

Good luck at class :)

x

5. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

hes absolutly lovely, i want him!!!

i agree with the suggestions above, id also recomend doing as much training with him as possible when hes on his own, away from distractions. dogs with attention problems usually do better to learn the commands first, then slowly introduce the distractions afterwards. also i have found that clicker training works better for those with short attention spans and get over excited quite easily, if you make clicker training exciting and fun for them, and the rewards are good enough, they will get addicted to clicker training and block out other not quite as exciting things more easily.

6. davehyde

davehyde Banned

roflmao:D:D:D

i read that the english bull can be a stubborn so and so to train. more stubborn that most so i dont envy you your task lol.

but as it is an rspca dog do they not have access to trainers and stuff to assist in these things?

the love to bite things and tug and play rough, proper hard dog, needs a strong personality and plenty of rapport.

send it to me if the postage to poison girl is too much.

7. princesspinky

Uhh hes stubborn allright!!!! He takes the pee the sometimes. So cheeky and naughty :eek:
    When hes naughty we put him outside as a punishment cuz he loves being with people, when hes been out 5 mins we open the door and he sits at the top of the garden with his back legs out (like in the pic above) looks at you and huffs and puffs turns back round again and ignores you. as if to say "lock me out here all you want i don't care" LOL

Food rewards do not work
    Toy rewards do not work
    Verbal praise does not work
    and fussying him does not work

:smilewinkgrin: i do not know if i could cope with one 24/7!! ROFL

8. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

are you sure your calm when your taking him out, its not the approach i use but thinking about it I sort of do a drill sargent approach (detatched and confident). A case of we're not moving until i say go, no interactions with others unless I say so, light taps on the lead to get his attention to move and if he doesnt go in the direction you ask - correct with a same consistent command (ah ah is not as harsh as no) take him back to the exact spot and wait for him to sit still correct and correct. It sounds like nobody has ever taught him boundries and hes big enough to impose himself on people - Bulls are stubborn so you have to bore them senseless id think with an ah ah to let them know whats right and wrong. But dont treat his training as a game - no smiles at all. Only praise with short bursts of head rubs when hes sat well followed then sat again possibly so that it is a rareity... it may have bigger impact :)

If you get complaints such as lead chewing or hopping about - you know that it is working as hes trying to disobey, so your 1/2 way there - just a matter of not reacting and staying with the same boring consistent routines

#8 james1, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  9. davehyde

davehyde Banned

pp reading your last post made me laugh.
    i can just imagine an english bull doing that.

turning his back as if to say no way mate, you wanted me out here and here i'll stay.

great dogs tho, proper dog they are.

10. tordiamond

tordiamond PetForums Member

Hi poison girl,my EBT star is now pregnant,pups are due on 12th august so if ur interested,lol.

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Oh I soo wish I could!
    When we own our own home we have a list of dogs to own.
    Unfortunately as my OH does not like EBT I have to wait until he gets his 'cool' car which I think is ugly, before I can get an EBT :(

But I will be waiting for puppy pics oh they are so cute when they are little! :D

x

12. zeon85

zeon85 PetForums Junior

Hi lauren,
    When u catch him say firmly NO!!! and show your dog the mess say firmly.. Whats this??? What is it?? Your a bad dog... Bed and point to the bed.. If your dog dont go force your dog and detain him there for 10 minutes once his completed 10 minutes then say his name and say come... As your dog approaches talk to ya dog in a tone u feel would b suitable as a disapprove tone i used a sadness tone as dogs can sense alot of emotion.. Dogs hate detention but if s/he has been good spend half hour rough and tumble with the dog get on ALL fours and play silly buggers lol you may feel an idiot but ur interacting with the dog.. Alot of dog owners buy a pet and never interact with the animal.. That way ur establishing pack order playing when good and detention when bad

best of luck

13. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

princesspinky with all sincerity please ignore this post!!!! its absolute tosh! One you dont want to be getting down on all 4s with a bull thats got little respect for you and do some rough and tumble - youll only come off worse, Ive got a very faithfull ESS who I rough and tumble with and I end up in shreds!! secondly, I dont know what they are going on about "mess" and "what is this" and "bed" you dont want to shout at them, this will have one of only two reactions .. excitement or fear.... your dog will probably just get excited which wont do it any good at all. Thirdly, dont force him to do anything - if you ever want him to do anything at all for you he must do it because he wants to, not because hes being threatend with a 'stick' approach.... if hes a recsue to be rehomed in the future - you want him able to take commands off anyone. And fouth just to pick bones Detention!!!??? what is all that about??? a dog only knows that what you teach it - so if your having to consatantly put it in detention THE OWNER is not doing something right!! its not going to learn a bean about what behaviour you want from it at all! it will probably just end up a fearfull>?? :eek:ut::)
    WOW

#13 james1, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  14. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

OMG! I am!!! Why did you do this??? It is cruelty to me and PG!!! x

15. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I agree James1

I am sorry but this is rubbish!! If you shout at your dog for 'messing' and then point to it and continue shouting all your going to do is give the poor dog an issue about toileting!!

Oh yeah and thats right make his bed a ''dentention'' area! nice one........not. A dog should feel at absolute ease in his 'place' which is noramally his bed. In any part of the house too...yes. But his bed is 'his' no-one should disturb him when he is in bed.

(for both of these i know how heartbreaking it is to have a terrified dog, my rescue boy still has so many issues :()

I actually do play with my dog in any and every way. But i have also taught ''stop''. But there is actually no need to get on all 4's!! Tug-toys, frisbees, balls, softies, chewies etc etc are all great bonding toys!

Although In my honest opinion, treating a dog in the right way, give him clear rules with humane training, and a whole lot of love then that alone gives an unbreakable bond.

16. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Sorry Princesspinky :blushing: :eek:

I didn't mean to take over your thread with my opinion against something someone else has said. :eek:

Can you please keep us updated about how he is doing? I adore him :001_wub: what a stunner!!

If only i lived closer..................lol!!
    xxx

17. princesspinky

Morning everyone,
    thank you for all your replies! :D

Well training class.... where shall i start!

Took him for a run beforehand, really thought it might work.... but it didn't!
    He tried lunging at people and dogs, squirming on the floor, trying to get his harness off
    Im only small, so took some strength to hold him still! I took his toy but he was not the slightest bit interested in it, until we got back in the car! Sausage worked but only to a certain degree! If you put sausage 1 end and a dog the other he would run to the dog not the food!
    Trainer said he needed a half choker or something, which i have told the RSPCA manager, she is going to get him one.
    He has gone back on reserve now, a man who has had EBT all his life wants him. Which i think would be excellent for him!! He is such a lovley, funny dog out of training, but in a training class, he is terrible!
    I actually have blisters on my hands!

#17 princesspinky, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  18. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

Nice try... but i will wait for the mail man and get that gorgeous dog from you... lol

19. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

What terrible advice.

OP, please ignore it.

20. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Just to say - training classes are more about the owner than the dog, I am physically shattered after doing 2 hrs of training as the concentration you have to put in has to be spot on. You need to be looking at every movement that says hes not doing what your asking, you have to praise at the right moment as when they deserve it and they are designed to make you look at what your doing wrong - whether its the pitch of your voice, or the amount you let him get away with before you correct. If you correct after hes done the action its really lost in my opinion - you need to correct the instant he steps a foot infront of you or looks like hes not paying attention to what your asking..... You could be walking him around - but if his attention has been on another dog for 5 minutes he is really doing what you have asked :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice