Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help needed again with some ideas on puppy curiosity

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Delta2012, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Delta2012

Delta2012 PetForums Junior

Hi all and thanks for reading post , I am doing canine behaviour and training course and have been racking my brains on a question (have spent two week on it ) and all i can come up with is curiosity is vital in a puppys life as what he learns from social investigation now will have a lasting effect on it . The puppy learns about his surroundings and develops social relationships with other dogs and humans through curiosity .
    The question is all puppies and young animals are curious. Why do you think curiosity is a useful behaviour any hints or ideas would really be appreciated thanks in advance and will check for any replies later today thanks again for reading post .

2. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

I would delve deeper into the answer you have already come up with, try to break it down. So what sort of things would have a lasting effect? And why is that important to the puppy? I would try to come up with a few things that a puppy might want to explore and what they would learn from that and work out why they are important.

Are you able to contact some rescues or breeders and see if they have some puppies you could go and observe?

3. evuze

evuze PetForums Junior

I've read that dogs are gamblers. In the wild, they would starve if they just stayed in the same place, not go looking in that Bush or hole, etc. It's probably instinct to go out and look for food.

This is opposed to say a sheep, who is quite happy staying in one place if there's grass.

4. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Boredom Busters has made a good suggestion - I would also think about the age at which a puppy's mother lets it go exploring alone. I have seen our westie snarl and chase a puppy away from a leaf until she had checked it out herself and knew it was safe - at what age, or after what experiences do they develop that balance between curiosity and caution that will keep them alive?

5. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

I`d start with survival traits then move to social behaviour.
    However - I really think you should be discussing this with your tutor.
    In most courses there is a `set` answer. So to pass the course you need the answer they are looking for, not (necessarily) the answer we would give.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice