Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help needed after sleepless nite

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Spaniel mad, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Hi

I picked up my 2 cocker pups Tuesday morning. They are fine and being good and house training is coming along nicely. I always stay downstairs with new pups until they learn to whine to go out.

So as they are doing this i thought i would take them upstairs with me and the other dogs last nite.

They whined and whined and whined for hours. I put them on my bed, put them on the floor, took them out for a wee and then back upstairs and all they done was whine. After a couple of hours i took them back downstairs, they whined to get on the sofa and fell asleep. So after 10 minutes or so i thought i would take them back upstairs and yet again all they done was whine. So obviously they dont like it upstairs.

I cant sleep downstairs with them forever. so do i leave them to have the run of downstairs as its all open plan, we have a stairgate at the kitchen so do i put them in there. we also have a crate. Its an X large so do i put them in there.
    I have never crate trained before or had this problem before. My other dogs were happy to sleep upstairs when they were pups.

All advice greatly apreciated

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Personally, id crate train. Individually if possible.

I also wouldnt sleep downstairs with them, but have set times during the night where you get up and take them out to the toilet.

If you react and give into whining, they will do it all the more as they realise it gets them attention.

You need to get into a routine with them, and not constantly change what you do with them and where they sleep.

3. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Definately crate train in individual crates and, if possible, away from each other (so maybe one in the lounge, one in the kitchen), so they don't disturb each other.

4. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I will deffo go and buy them a crate each and give that a try. It was silly of me to assume they would fit in like my others did when they were little but every dog is different.

Thanx for the advice guys xx

5. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

up to about 11 weeks i was getting up at 2am to toilet him, then i gradually reduced it back to 11:30 and now ive been at 10 - 10:30 from about 16 weeks, a crate will work just get them used to it by putting their meals in there and it should be fine ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice