Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help need advice???????

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by debbiej, Jun 7, 2010.

1. debbiej

debbiej PetForums Newbie

I am in need of some advice. Our vet 'LOST' our cat today. she has a broken pelvis and can barely walk. however, whilst in transit (which i did not authorise) she managed to get out of her brand new cat carrier, then escape from the vehicle and RUN away???? She has no use of her back left leg?? Vet's don't seem too bothered. Does anyone think i may have grounds for legal action??? Kids and I are in bits :(

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

What do you mean - the vets don't care - they have a duty of care! :eek:

And how can they lose a cat that can hardly walk? Perhaps the adrenalin might explain some - but surely your cat wouldn't be able to get very far!

Why didn't they tell you that they were transferring the cat?

3. Tje

Tje Banned

Yes, I think you do. Strong grounds for legal action I would say. This is horrific. What steps are the vets taking to find him? Are they out searching? Have they put trap cages down? What are they doing to get your cat back????

I am so so sorry for you. This is terrible!

4. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

wow if that was my cat and my vets would have lost them i would go mad i would sleep untel i found her and the vets would never hear the end of it i hope you find your cat what was it ment to have done

5. debbiej

debbiej PetForums Newbie

Went up there this evening and just got shrugged shoulders and...'well it was the other branches' fault, not ours'! They said that someone was going out every hour to look for her, but we were there for 3 hours and not 1 person went out to look for her.

6. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

ummmm i was under the impression that as soon as you handed your pet over to the vet they were responsible for the care until the pet was returned :eek: i think you should ring them up or visit them and demand an explanation as to what actually happened as the whole thing seems really strange, possibly say you`ll contact citizens advice/press/watchdog etc just to inform them of what`s gone on and considering you didn`t authorise the transit they`d be very interested!!! you are well within your rights for legal action i`d say

i really hope you get some answers soon and your cat is returned safe

7. Tje

Tje Banned

ask (demand!) to speak to the practice manager now. the least they can do is help you look for him. they have tools and resources at hand that you have no access too. It's their moral (as well as legal I would assume) obligation to help you find your cat which they lost! Get to the top now!

8. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

OMG that's awful,I agree with everyone else,hope the cat is allright and you find it soon.

9. debbiej

debbiej PetForums Newbie

We're not sure how she got injured but she was due to come home today. She would have had to say in a cage for 6 weeks to heal but the vet was confident that she would heal just fine. Now we have no idea where she is or whats happened to her. It's good to know other people think i may have a case against the vet. I'm going crazy sitting here not knowing where she is :( x

10. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

your vets have a legal duty of care for your cat.

You have every right to involve the authorities if you dont get some immediate action.

I would be at their practice right now threatening to get the press down there if they dont go out and FIND your cat and offer you some reasonable explanation as to how the hell this happened!

Once your cat has been found (first priority naturally), i would want a full investigation into it, and may still involve the press along with bva etc.

Get on the phone to them and demand some action now!

11. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

First things first.....Have you notified the neighbours surrounding the practice that your cat is missing?Is she microchipped-if so you must report her being lost to the microchip company.May also be an idea to put posters up around the area she has went missing.
    Yes your vet is at fault but at the moment its important to concentrate on finding your cat.They should be able to get a hold of cat traps - usually local cat charities have access to these eg Cats Protection League.
    Are there any other vet surgeries in the area - if so you must contact them to let them know she is missing as a member of the public may well have taken her there instead of your own practice.
    Secondly you must arrange a meeting with the practice manager and when you get that meeting take someone with you- may be wise to contact citizens advice to know exactly where you stand legally.
    Did you sign a consent form when your cat was admitted to the practice?
    Why were they transporting her?

12. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Also contact your local radio station. I'm sure they will put a broadcast out in your case. They don't normally do lost animals, but since your fur-baby is injured they might.

Don't worry about the time of day either, like BBM said act now, demand now and play bloody hell with them now!

The vets should feel extremely ashamed of themselves :(

13. debbiej

debbiej PetForums Newbie

Have informed other local vets and also a local cat rescue centre just incase she is handed in by someone. Also spoke to several of the people living in the area where she went missing and have asked them to contact the vet if they should see her.

Have even been in touch with the local police station just incase someone has given her to them, although i doubt they would! My only priority right now is to get her back home, however unlikey that might be, but the moment it looks unlikely i will be straight on the phone to my solicitor!!

14. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Debbie try the local radio station hon! You might instantly get a couple of hundred people looking out their windows for her :)

15. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

wow, i cant believe what i just read!

As everyone had said, be on the surgeries asses until they do more and get the press involved, this is awfull!!!!

The more people you can get out looking for your cat the better and if it can be publisised then more people will be aware and the people who lost your cat will be named and shamed, its the least they deserve!

16. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

out of interest... where are you and what vets is that?!

prayers for your baby and I hope she is found soon

17. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

I can't believe the vets did that - thats so unprofessional and absolutely disgusting behaviour.

First priority has to be to find your injured cat (hope she is located v soon). Once you have her back, then get the solicitors involved - along with the newspapers (i can see this type of thing in The Sun) and tell them that.

As soon as she is found, i'd be changing vets asap - and withholding payment of their bill!

Good luck!

18. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

i would put it in thenew papper as everone reads the news papper and if you add a pic of her maby someone will see her and is there any woods near where she got lost as if she hurt or scared she may just go hideing in a quite woodland place if there is try looking in there and ask as meny people to look in there sheds as cats hide in there two i hope shes found i cant belive the
    ant doing all they can to find him they lost him vets theres days they take your money quick enough but when they lose you cat they dont care i would get really stin with then and demond they do something

19. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Omg! I cant believe what I just read! I am so sorry to hear about your cat!! I hope that you can find her! Crossing fingers that tomorrow.....or should I say a little later this morning :) You will have good news for us! Thinking of you and the kiddies right now!

20. debbiej

debbiej PetForums Newbie

Still no news, she went 'missing' from the CHASE practice on LONDON ROAD in HASTINGS EAST SUSSEX. HAve been speaking to someone from 'cat call' and she said it happened to her a few years ago with the same vet?????

I have witheld funds for her treatment until this is resolved and i am getting some leaflets printed today, which i will be putting through some doors later today after work.

I am getting more and more angry by the hour now, just seems like the vets want to take no responsibility at all. Might try and contact the national press later today and see if they are interested at all!:confused1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice