Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! My rats are swelling!!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by animalcrazy, Jun 5, 2010.

1. animalcrazy

animalcrazy PetForums Newbie

i recently switched to Kay-tee softsorbent with lavender litter and ever since my rats' eyes and feet have been swelling! they have been sneezing alot too! they like to eat the stuff but not use the bathroom in it. my question is...is the lavender bad for the rats? can them eating it cause some internal damage?

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Not sure if lavender is bad for rats but I would always avoid anything strong smelling as I dont think it could be great for animals who have notoriously sensitive respiratory systems. If your rats have suddenly begun showing these symptoms since using the Kaytee I would take them off it straight away. If they continue to show these symptoms I would get them to a vets as they may need treatment.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Someone did join to point out that the bedding is dangerous...

http://www.petforums.co.uk/rodents/103534-want-healthy-rat-dont-use-product.html

Personally, id never use any scented product. They are for people appeal only, and rarely, if ever, benefit the animal.

Imagine having a highly sensitive sense of smell, and having it constantly irritated by something like lavendar or lemon.

Id take yours off it it immediately, scrub their cages, and maybe give them a bath to wash off any residue. Id also contact a veterinary professional for advice regarding allergic reactions.

4. animalcrazy

wow! thanks so much. i wasn't really too sure but i had heard somewhere how Kaytee wasn't doing great things with their products. so if lavender can be bad for small animals, why do they keep selling it?

5. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Oh I was only having this conversation earlier!! It's disgusting that products are being sold that are not suitable for animals!! I was talking to a lady who breeds guineas and she was advising that quite a lot of the big brand foods have to many e-somethings in them!!! Causes cystitis/bladder stone etc in guineas!!

Sorry diverting...yes I don't use scented for any of my animals!! Sorry you've suffered this!! xx

6. ButterflyBlue

ButterflyBlue PetForums Senior

it sounds like your rats are having allergic reactions to it, clean it out asap and disinfect the whole cage then go back to using whatever you were using before this. hope they are ok!!!

7. thedogsmother

Just to say if you have no other bedding your rats would be better off without bedding, of maybe just with some ripped up loo roll for tonight.

8. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

i never use anything that is scented for my rats.

i only ever use shredded newspaper have done for many years and never had any bad experiences with this and bio catlet litter.

also use eco pet bed.

9. animalcrazy

i called the vet and he suggested the exact things you guys did! clean out the litter and stop using it. he said i should bring 'em in for a check up, it may be serious! i cant believe i ever trusted Kaytee softsorbent with lavender!!!

10. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

:mad::) these companys really annoy me with their money making gimmicks it annoys me that they sell and way over charge for stuff toally unsuitable for what they advertise it for they will only be happy once they have full pockets and they dont give a damn about what effect these products have on animals i think stuff like this and many other items should not be on the shelves they advertise stuff under faulse or misleading terms like when tdm bought a cage the company mislead her and as a result her poor hammy was injured not her fault she was just doing her best by her hammie but i could string the companies up hope your ratties get well soon:)

11. animalcrazy

wow!...tht was something! :scared:well thank you for your enthusiasm and sympathy. i hope they get better soon. And thanks to everyone's advice, i know what to do and what not to use...(LAVENDER!) :)

12. animalcrazy

oh! one more question. what happens now that they have eaten the lavender that made them swell on the outside?

13. thedogsmother

i think a vets visit might be in order, I would rather check out with the vet that it will pass through them ok, otherwise I would be constantly worrying:eek:.

14. rat addict

rat addict PetForums Newbie

i have only heard bad things about kaytee products thier rat food has a very low nutrition value too. i use old hand/ bath towels in my rat cages i just put them in the wash once a week

15. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Sorry to divert...but your pic is SOOOO cute!!! xx

16. rat addict

rat addict PetForums Newbie

thankyou they are my baby boys i will be updating my album at the weekend they have grown alot since those were taken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice