Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help!!! My nighttime howling and crying puppy!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Ktb123, May 14, 2014.

1. Ktb123

Ktb123 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I have an 8 and a half week old dachshund puppy that I have had for a week. He is well behaved during the day, but at night he is just terrible!
    Firstly, I know he is in new surroundings and just a pup but every night is getting worse!
    He basically sleeps for 1-2 hours then crystal the house down. As soon as I go into the kitchen where he is he sniffs me and gets straight back into his bed and falls asleep. I go back to bed and the cycle starts all over again!!!
    I have also left him crying for over an hour, but he doesn't let up!!!
    Please can anyone help me????
    Thanks.

2. CotonBud

CotonBud PetForums Junior

Hello, as a puppy owner myself I definitely feel your pain! I have done quite a bit of reading on this and there appears to be two equally good solutions, depending on how you want to deal with it.

The first method is to let the puppy cry, however long it takes for him to realise that crying will not get your attention. This may take several days or longer depending on the puppy, so very much a test of wills. Don't go into the kitchen unless you are taking him out to potty.

The second method is gradual night time isolation, which is what we opted for. I slept on the floor the first night, gradually moving further away from the crate throughout the night. We have open plan living room / kitchen so I slept on the sofa the next two nights. My puppy whined at first when she couldn't see me from the crate, but settled down after she heard me moving about on the sofa. I gradually spent less time sleeping on the sofa, leaving her by herself for 2 hours, then 4, then 6, and now she sleeps through the night with no issues. I also left an already worn T-shirt in her crate, which helps her settle down a lot faster.

I should also mention that during the gradual isolation process, I never spoke to her or made eye contact past bed time. Any whining, however brief or prolonged was completely ignored. She cried on one of the first nights for two hours. It was one of the hardest things I had to bear, but I am now so glad that I ignored this behaviour so early on.

Good luck with everything and please know that it will eventually get better :)

3. Ktb123

Ktb123 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for that. I really hope so!!! It's so difficult because I have opted for his bed to be in the kitchen and as much as I love him I'm not sleeping on the kitchen floor lol. I would let him cry but I have my husband and 2 children to think of. I don't know wether to move his bed into a quiet area of the room and try that instead because when my husband gets up for work at 3.30am he obviously has to put the light on. But he can get upto soooo much more mischief if left in the room on his own, so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place really!!! Just so t know what to do for the best.

4. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

5. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

my mum was able to do the 'lets leave him in the kitchen' routine with Teddy the cockapoo without any problems. He did cry, but because everything was dark and quiet, he went to sleep. Covering the crate helped. He was also put in his play pen/crate during the day for time outs so he got used to sleeping away from us even though we were up and about.
    First few weeks are the worst, but you'll get there! Teddy is now 8 months and able to sleep wherever he wants on the hallway or landing.

6. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

What does he sleep in, a crate or just a dog bed? If its a crate you may need to put something over the top and sides to make the pup feel a little safer in there. Also either way have you tried leaving him with a t-shirt that smells of you so he has something to comfort him?

The best way we found was from about 7 ish not to let our puppy nap so they are really really tired for bed time and more likely to sleep longer. we also opted for the ignore her if she cries and after the first few nights of her waking us up at various times we wouldn't hear a peep from her.

7. CotonBud

CotonBud PetForums Junior

Do you have a crate for the puppy? I don't know what I would have done without the crate training. It really helped with the potty training and settling down. My puppy looks forward to going in the crate because I hide treats in there and she loves to sniff them out. Maybe try crate training your little guy in a more quiet spot?

I know you have the rest of the family to think of, but any attention from you when he cries will just reinforce the behaviour and prolong the process. Hang in there!

#7 CotonBud, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  8. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

You have to remember that at 8.5 weeks old he's still ever such a tiny baby. It's a very big ask to take a puppy from their mother and siblings and want them to sleep alone which they will have never done before.

Even if you want the puppy to sleep separately from you in the long run I would always start off having the pup close to you at night, whether that is having their bed/crate in the bedroom or you moving down onto the sofa. Once they're settling at night you can then start moving them away gradually.

ClaireandDaisy likes this.
  9. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

This. A young animal is hard-wired to scream if left alone. Because they are so vulnerable. Put the pup in a basket in your room. He should need to be taken out promptly anyway, or you`ll have real problems house-training him.

10. catseyes

catseyes PetForums VIP

awww i feel your pain i have a 14 week old puppy and we are still taking it in turns sleeping on the sofa downstairs and have been for the past 3 weeks.

We tried a crate, tried baby gate on the kitchen for weeks but he barks and barks.. he went one night for 5 hours solid and get so stressed that he pees and poos diarhea. Its all down to being shut in.

If we let him have the run of downstairs he is fine at night and fine when we go out so we are only out for 30 mins at a time and at night one of us stays on the sofa more for piece of mind that he isnt chewing things he shouldnt be which he hasnt done too much of so far.

I would try a crate see how he goes, you have to let him bark it out sometimes thats what we tried but after 3 weeks it was evident this was more than being alone.. maybe do what we do sleep on the sofa - once he is alseep sneak upstairs.

Try getting him to the loo every 2 hours, we set alarms to make sure he never cried for needing the toilet.

You will get there we have been working on it for 6 weeks and its still a work in progress, every dog is different.

11. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Poor puppy being taken from its mum at such a young age, will miss out on all that its mum would have taught it, lots of good advice given by other people , but sadly will never replace the time it should have still been with its mum.

12. Ktb123

Ktb123 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all the advice all so far. He is in a crate and I have one of my tee shirts in there too. At the moment I keep the door to the crate open all the time so that he can jump out and toilet when he needs to.
    Might sleep on the sofa tonight n see how I go from there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice