Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP! My new MCO kitten from Europe is limping

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Radoslaw Mostek, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Radoslaw Mostek

Radoslaw Mostek PetForums Newbie

Hi my long awaited beautyful boy arrived last Sunday, he was a bit goofy but i thought it’s just because of the long journey (3 days ) but after few hours I’ve noticed that he is slightly limping... I went to the vet on Monday because it didn’t get better and I was told they need to do an X ray which will cost £500 ! I thought that might be soft tissue but today is friday and the thigh together is swollen the kitten is not crying when i touch it but definitely he is saving his leg , doesn’t jump ( although it is better but the sweeling is bigger ) and doesn’t run too much. I’m keeping him in our bedroom so he can’t use stairs and giving him inflammatory painkillers + antihistamines in case allergy. The worst part of it Is: I couldn’t get a chance to buy any insurance and that will be treated as pre existing condition... the breeder is looking for his own answers and asking his own vets when I shown the quote for x ray; I think she doesn’t realise that I will ask her to cover the costs of medical treatment... especially when I asked if the courier transporting cats from Latvia has any insurance ( he had none ) I’m pretty sure something happen on the way to UK. Please could anyone can advise what to do in regards to my boys health and my legal rights due to purchase agreement with breeder ??? I can’t afford to pay that kind of money and thinking of the worst that might be beginning of the expenses ;(

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    I don't know about purchase agreements but if the vets say the kitten needs an x-ray I would do it. Letting the injury sit may make it worse and it sounds as if he is in pain.
    I am not sure but that is a long journey for a kitten. Do they do a health/vet check before shipping? It may be tricky to show it was the courier or while at the breeder the injury occurred. They may question as well if the injury occurred after pick up.

3. Radoslaw Mostek

The kitten had a healh check 12h before departure ... I’ve booked an appointment next week for x-ray unless the vet will say it's not needed ( I wanted to change my present vet so we’re getting a different opinion from a trusted and awarded vet ). Right now my kitten is feeling much better :) much different cat, he jumps and runs everywhere... still slightly saves his left leg and the sweelling is present but his behaviour change for good past two days. I don’t know if I should be happy but I really am :) My boy finally started to act like a normal kitten.

4. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

Could he have had a reaction to a bite? Just a thought if the vet prescribed antihistamines.

Glad he's feeling better!

5. Radoslaw Mostek

I strated giving him Antihistamines - Loratadine Thursday evening... I think he’s much better now ; we can’t sleep from 6am becuase he wants to play :p

6. Radoslaw Mostek

And the swelling is decreasing... ;D

7. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

It's possible that he may have strained a ligament whilst caged in transit ? If that is the case then resting it will help the swelling go down and once it does go down he will feel a lot more comfortable.

p.s. we always need photos of members new kittens !!

8. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Some of the kitten vaccines can make them limp temporarily. Glad he's improving :)

9. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Glad he is feeling better

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice