Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP!!!! MY KITTEN HAS GIARDIA"""

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Mia1234567, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Mia1234567

Mia1234567 PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,
    I hope you are all safe and well.

My kitten got Giardia and the vet first pescribed a treatment of 6 days with Panacur granules which did not work. Then, they have given to me another with metronidazole 25mg for 10 days (which I am about to start tomorrow) and as precautions only to clean surfaces and litter as soon as my kitten poos.
    I read online several blogs/websites which recommended to:
    - bath the kitten 3x week with specific shampoo (chlorhexidine) because the cystis remain on the coat
    - clean all the surfaces with bleach as well the litter tray
    - clean the bum of the kitten with wipes after the kitten poos
    - make sure the kitten did not smell the poo because only smelling can re-transmit the cystis into the intestine.

My vet did not specify all of this and just said to clean surfaces and the litter. So, I would like to ask everyone if you have experienced this parasite with your kitten and how you did solve it.
    I am a bit worried because a lot of blogs/website mention the difficulty to get rid of this and how this could cause REALLY BAD PROBLEMS. My vet did not seem worried at all and was even sure that with the first treatment this problem would have gone away...

Thanks everyone in advance for your help!!

#1 Mia1234567, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  2. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

I’m sorry to hear your kitten has giardia :( How old is he/she?

I don’t have any advice because I haven’t experienced giardia but I’m going to tag @chillminx who is very experienced and I think will give you some great advice.

3. Mia1234567

Thanks a lot! I look forward hearing from chillminx! She is 3 months old. She is always super active and friendly. Luckily she did not experience any vomit or blood from what I saw.. just diarrhoea. I think she is not gaining much weight though due to this parasite.

#3 Mia1234567, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello :)

I wouldn't bathe the kitten. A chlorhexadine shampoo would be drying to her skin. Instead you could comb her or brush her and then wash the brush or comb in a diluted solution of chlorhexadine, and then leave the brush and comb to dry.

At the Shelter when we had an outbreak of Giardiasis some years ago, we found it reduced the cleaning load by using disposable litter trays, so we could throw out the whole tray several times a day, after it had been used and put down fresh trays straight away. Using disposable trays is an extra expense but it was worth it for us.

If you use ordinary litter trays, do throw out the whole tray of litter after she has pooed in it.

If she smells the litter she will not inhale the cysts. They would need to be swallowed to be a risk.

Clean surfaces and floors with a diluted solution of bleach.

It's important to dry the cleaned areas of the home thoroughly before allowing the kitten back into the cleaned areas. The Giardia cysts thrive in a damp environment. Some authorities recommend confining the cat to one room, while you deep clean every other room with a solution of bleach. Then leave to dry for 24 hours before allowing access to the kittens Then deep clean the room they were in and leave that room 24 hours to dry. It may be best to restrict the number of rooms to which your kitten has access at present. Just allowing her access to rooms with hard floors and no soft furnishings, will be much easier to clean.

Change the kitten's bedding every day and launder blankets or cat beds in a hot wash. It may be easier to give her vet bed fleece to sleep on for now as it is easy to launder on a hot wash and it dries quickly. Vets use it for their inpatients.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-VET-BED-300cm-X-60cm-ROLL-WHITE-WITH-GREEN-BACK-WASHABLE-COMFY/203217731175?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item2f50b87e67:g:keEAAOSw3YNXX9Yh&amdata=enc:AQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkrmmq8hWevtuKE7%2F%2BLfVXtkQku7Jzwm28s%2FcY61VvVfKL5S7Qg6dfX1ADDfvKJ5RJWttRSNxSUr0tHnJgk%2F8kMPhlun8PYZ34XuaBnO4iESADabdcgnX3T7BC4KjweYMJGu4RwhsOpqMzTE%2BLWxqcW6ygG%2FGO1ZVfydSaocwbEeb2M0ay3mPs5o66ibeUzk4KrXvP7tYKUoevNGIJS%2FM6OA10MFTEYk8B9PxfIDRs4YDCLx0H%2Fn81EaQQTXY50i%2BpJIGofm052vBuB%2Fm5q9fSicoRWXNVvTiJQoeD9Dl79vPdL6TpyIWxUUb8yZ6Opy8%2BJywgd%2BJtM8yG8Fipit9rPIhuxObRugyHU%2Bm6YRhbxNFwdzP3fBcief7ji5zIxp7mwIKjQhuqL5KiBmeDSVmVwNanxySaRkrzUXlPJREzTOk%2B3m%2FFgZy4SgnW7wmtAqzfbxMQmAZqHmqrYGRuElRB%2BzLV5CADCYIsQgPxSKU7RaLt259x0OxJgJgFdrZxCE3TGvsVFVzNupfDS8rQOGximmPTI%2Bx9xQb4Ib2puVfIfdfRLsGbQgtIC6A%2FnahruImvgqOHmv1MutvbHc2XOhkdY%2F%2FRa8pQueREHV%2BfHsRYOJa66jYexz%2FYatiBmhaBYH7C4tKVOoRwE9r7rpeig0MVEIJiFRjzl38otFik7HCLLTcuhkXMJ0nnLZcRTWLDvHypaFMknK78FZ8aNt5vEjRa8KaepuZPx0YPGAszH0%2BLWaVqKAMxj2CYVxzluF7iey%2FZQZrEjlFnqUN76t0wwgpi5Q%3D%3D|cksum:203217731175e093b9cd4014480789eb07fe00e5b4b1|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:2334524

5. Mia1234567

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I will do this and hopefully we will get rid of it!!!

chillminx likes this.
  6. NandoCat

NandoCat PetForums Newbie

@chillminx

thank you for this advice! My kitten was diagnosed with giardia at 4 months and I believe it has now come back at 6 months. My vet didn’t tell me to do any of the cleaning so I suspect this is why!

Do you know if the granules definitely work for giardia in cats? I’m not sure I got the dosage correct with the paste and he spits some out, so would like to try the granules if they work. The information leaflet has confused me slightly because it says for treatment of giardia in puppies (no mention of cats).

Puppies and kittens: For the treatment of weaned puppies and kittens infected with gastro-intestinal nematodes and puppies infected with protozoa (Giardia spp).

I’m going to nip to pets at home this afternoon to collect them if the granules are for giardia. thanks for your help!

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@NandoCat - I've always thought it odd the Panacur granules state they're for treating puppies with Giardiasis, but no mention of kittens or cats. I have used the granules to treat for worms in cats and kittens but not to treat Giardiasis.

I would think they are effective but as I am not certain I think you should take advice on that, either from the Pets at Home staff or if they don't know, give your vet a call. I am sure you could have a phone consultation with a vet even though we are in lockdown.

Otherwise email one of the online pet pharmacies who sells the granules and ask them.

Please let us know the answer, I would find it useful to know too. :)

8. NandoCat

Thanks for getting back to me. My vets told me I can use the granules for giardia, just a bit strange that the leaflet doesn’t mention for kitten giardia treatment! I’m going to start my kitty on them tomorrow morning and think I’ll do for around 5 days (that was how long I was told to do panacur paste for). Hopefully his symptoms start to improve (mainly soft stools with liquid / blood at the end) otherwise I’m thinking he may just have IBD. He was riddled with worms, fleas and giardia when we got him so I fear he may have permanent damage to his gut. Thanks again!

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Your kitten is a bit young at 3 months old to have IBD I'd have thought. Most seem to be diagnosed with IBD at over a year old or more.

But it's possible she could have a food intolerance. What do you feed her? Have you tried any dietary changes?

10. Mia1234567

Hi, my kitten was prescribed with panacaure granules for giardia but the treatment did not work. Then the vet prescribed the antibiotic metronidazole for 10 days but I think it did not work either as she still has diarrea, so we will run another stool test soon :((((

#10 Mia1234567, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Sometimes it can take several courses of Panacur to treat Giardiasis successfully in cats.

Combine with daily disinfection with a cold water bleach solution of all parts of the home where the kitten has been; and bleaching of litter trays twice a day. Any cleaned room must be left to dry thoroughly for at least 24 hours before allowing the kitten back in the room to avoid the kitten becoming reinfected. The infectious giardia cysts survive quite a while outside the body and thrive in a damp environment.

p.s. it's possible there's something else going on as well as the giardiasis. I would ask for a qPCR test for Tritrichomonas Foetus infection (TF) if you have not already had her stools tested for that. It can be done at Langfords lab at Bristol Uni.

Mia1234567 and gskinner123 like this.
  12. Mia1234567

Hey, thanks for your message. We actually did all of this. We cleaned everywhere with bleach but we waited only a max of 10/12 hours because she cries too much if left alone, so we had to let her come to bed with us however our flat is pretty hot so everything dried before she could touch it again.
    Yes, I will ask the vet tomorrow about the trichinomonas. Someone else suggested me that in fact. She had a complete test of faeces already but I don’t know if that parasite was included. I will definitely ask the vet tmw Thanks a lot

chillminx likes this.
  13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The test for TF is not part of the normal faeces panel. It is a separate test which requires a separate stool sample as it is sent to a different lab.

Testing for TF is not part of the standard stool testing process and some vets don't like doing it because there are no licensed drugs to treat it. There is a belief that TF eventually resolves on its own after a year or two.

The antibiotic ronidazole can be prescribed off-label to treat TF in cats, There are potential unpleasant side effects though.

https://icatcare.org/advice/tritrichomonas-foetus-infection-in-cats/

Mia1234567 likes this.
  14. Mia1234567

Thank you very much! that was very exhaustive.

15. NandoCat

Hey, so when we got him he was eating felix kitten. I did a lot of research and changed him to feringa, I looked for single protein food but couldn’t find any kitten version. His poo is mostly fine but just a bit wet and sloppy, and sorry for TMI but sometimes he will do a completely fine poo then at the end a few drops of soft / liquid or blood will come out. We have to wipe him after he has been. The only time he has had completely solid poo was when we fed him Royal Canin gastro, but it’s so expensive and not that great quality so tried to transition back to feringa. He has 90% wet food and small amount of miowing heads biscuits. I have noticed that after certain foods he will have really smelly farts, such as the Lily’s kitchen biscuits, a couple of hours after eating they start. I have told all this to the vet but she said because of the presence of blood it is unlikely to just be digestive intolerance. He is on day 3 of the panacur granules but May also consider a fecal test for TF if this doesn’t help. He is totally fine in himself, plays all day, eats and drinks normally so I am not overly concerned. Would be nice to not have to wipe his bum any more though :) He’s due to get castrated next week so hoping his poo is okay then to go ahead. Let me know your thoughts and thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate it!!

#15 NandoCat, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@NandoCat - tbh I wouldn't settle for less than firm stools, with no flatulence, i,e. normal stools. If this can be achieved with diet that is all to the good. If not, then it's worth considering the qPCR test for TF.

If he is getting flatulence after eating LK kitten kibble, then I would remove it from his diet.

In cats, blood in the stool can be due to inflammation in the lower part of the intestine causing loose stools. I have found it's not always due to parasites or infections.

RC Gastro is not a bad food, although not the best ingredients. If it gives him nice firm stools I'd be tempted to continue with it for longer. You are right it is not a budget food [unlike Feringa] but if you buy it in bulk online it works out around 72 pence a pouch which is similar to many of the UK pet store types of pouches.

https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/royal-canin-cat-food-gastrointestinal-veterinary-health-nutrition

If you are not keen to continue with the RC Gastro then maybe consider taking her off all the kibble and feeding a food such as Animonda Vom Feinsten for Neutered Cats which contains almost no offal and is gentle on the gut. Although it is not a kitten food she would be fine with it. Some kitten food recipes differ very little from the adult recipes. Some are exactly the same, and just marketed cynically as being something special for kittens.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/animonda/trays/523945

This works out at £5.41 per kg compared with Feringa Pure Meat Menu which is £5.83 per kg (200 gram tins)

#16 chillminx, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  17. NandoCat

thank you very much for this, i will order the animonda and give that a go. I will order some RC for him too, that isn’t too expensive in bulk however he eats a lot! When he had the RC before he was having 5/6 sachets a day (they are 85gs) - I’m not sure if hunger is a sign of giardia but he definitely doesn’t have worms and has a big appetite! Interestingly the miowing head biscuits don’t make him fart at all, I tried to compre the ingredients of miowing head and Lily’s kitchen to see if I could identify what it could be but the ingredient lists were so long! I did also find some gastro supplements on zooplus - one claims to naturally get rid of parasites as well as contain probiotics so I will order these too. He did have probiotics before though was difficult to give to him. Me and nando say thank you very much!

Attached Files:

chillminx likes this.
  18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Wow, 5 to 6 pouches x 85 grams is over 500 grams!! That is a heck of a lot of food a day even for a growing kitten. And if he was having kibble as well!!

Either he is going to be a very big cat, almost the size of a Maine Coon say (!) or he is not absorbing the nutrients from his food very well and that's why he's so hungry. Inflammation in the gut can affect nutrient absorption.

19. NandoCat

Just to follow up on this. The vet said the panacur granules work the same, so he had those. We did another fecal sample and no giardia, good but then don’t know the issue. He is having animonda von Feinstein and haven’t really seen a change In his poo. I think I put his age wrong before but he is now 8 months and weighs 4kg so is putting on weight fine. He eats probably 400grams a day total. Vet have now said to try hypoallergenic food as she does think it is food intolerance so going to try that for 8 weeks before deciding if to do additional tests. I do wonder if the infestation of parasite / worms when he was a kitten has just damaged his digestion for good. Luckily he is totally fine in himself, just has really stinky pops and we have to wipe him after :)

20. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

While this can happen it usually requires an extremely heavy burden over many months to cause damage of this type. However I have to say I'd want a full faecal exam including for TF before changing diets or treating with panacur again, because frankly I'd want to know I'm treating the correct issue with the correct drug.

Giardia is becoming increasingly resistant to panacur, probably because it has never been given for long enough. Some say 3 days, others 5 however I heard about two years ago that 10 days is required. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read this now.

I did however find this rather interesting article from cats protection regarding intestinal parasites.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAMegQIGxAC&usg=AOvVaw3aBQixfz18BgPWtZjMJA3o

While of course it is looking at it from a rescue centre point of view, It is relevant to any pet cat owner too. It does mention that data from UK is lacking, however I remember years ago a vet came to the National Cat Club show in London and handed out sample bottles to everyone and asked them to collect poo if their cat did any. While I can't remember how many samples were handed in (nowhere near the number of cats exhibiting) I seem to recall that around 20% of them were positive for TF. These were cosetted indoor cats who had never met any other cats other than cosetted indoor cats so it came as a surprise.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice