Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help my garden....please!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jamtart, Apr 9, 2011.

1. jamtart

jamtart PetForums Newbie

Now as everyone knows... dogs love to play in the garden, trouble is, my 3 month old black lab/collie cross and 11 month old black lab love to DIG! I can't watch them all the time but my garden is turning into a game of 'trench warfare'. Can anyone please give me some advise on how to stop them? They are walked at least twice a day down the beach or in the woods and we play with them in the garden, but as soon as we go inside... the digging starts! Help!!!:mad:

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I've got the following ideas

1. Give them something else to go to keep there minds busy - do you feed dry? give them there food in a toy such as a Kong Wobbler or treat dispensing toy - do more training excersises/gsmes to wear out their minds as well.

2. give them a place they are allowed to dig in the garden and reward them for digging there - whilst training you won't be able to leave them unsupervised.

3. Don't let them have unsupervised access to the garden.

4. split the garden into two - doggy section and nice section

5. Hard landscape the garden so there is no where to dig

Or option 6 all or a combination of the above.

Good luck ;)

3. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Fleur has pretty much covered it! :)

You could always have a sandpit in your garden? But as said when training them that's were they can dig,you will have to be outside with them. Or if not a sandpit, a area of grass/mud where they can dig? Just an idea :)

4. frosty2010

frosty2010 PetForums Member

At least you dont have huskies!

its like crators on the moon, you can hire your lawn out to NASA lol.

The huskies dig so much, and there is just no stopping them lol. They like to bury themselves in the mud :s

I suppose its a bit cooler in the summer, and in the winter.... they bury thmselves in the snow lol. Messy little buggers! but you got to love them!

5. Sorrels Mum

Sorrels Mum PetForums Junior

We have the same problem with Sorrel but didn't expect anything else with a terrier.

We built her a sand pit, about a yard square, lined with concrete edging stones and filled with some playsand we already had. Although it hasn't stopped her completely it does help and we can redirect her away from the flower beds - most of the time.

Attached Files:

6. claire & the gang

claire & the gang PetForums Senior

i decided i`d had enough of trench warfare & pot-holing in my garden the back end of last year.

I partitioned off a 15ft square section of the garden with wire dog fencing & am growing bushes around this so that once the bush grows into the fence it will look more landscaped than having a dividing fence showing. i also paved their area to make cleaning up easier & can be jetwashed. Now the dogs have their own place to do whatever dogs do & i can allow my 5 year old son into the rest of the garden without fears of him dissapearing into an abyss:D

7. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

Caught in the act...
    Copy of my camera 068.jpg

He was head first in the hole, under the bush up to his belly.
    It is a source of constant amusement to my neighbour, who has watched me for the past 20 years carrying out the ritual of "hole filling". He has even given me buckets of top soil as presents :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mine have a fenced area but that has already been explored to death...

#7 northnsouth, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  8. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

The only way we could do it was to divide the garden into two. My son put up a fence and we have their side - for digging and my side, for flowers. Plus a kennel area by the back door. Mals love to dig and now they can to their hearts content, I just go out and fill the holes in occasionally - then they start all over again! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone's happy! :D

9. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I love your garden Malmum - What a brilliant idea.

When we moved into our house the garden was split like this, but we took it down. (We didnt have dogs then!) hehe

Our garden has faired OK so far BUT we are in tied tenancy here to my OH's job so it's not actually my garden. We are hoping to be moving at some point in the future and then once it's our own garden I am going to have to get organised and the idea of a seperate dog area is fantastic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice