Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! My Frenchie has become a horndog!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by GOULDFISH, Dec 24, 2019.

1. GOULDFISH

GOULDFISH PetForums Newbie

Hi All! I'm new around here but really need some advice. I have a 4yo entire Frenchie. Never had a reaction to a bitch in heat, he's always been a well behaved ball of cuddles. We rehomed a female Frenchie 6mths ago and was spayed the week we got her, so we know she's been 'done. They've got on well since, not really interested in each other really. Anyway, 2 days ago he became VERY interested in our girl.. He won't leave her alone, won't settle, screams when he can't get to her, to small and lick her... He's really not the same dog! Humps his Teddy constantly, made his willy sore. We thought it was a dog in our area, so we came away for Xmas. 200 miles away from home... He's still doing it. So sad to shut him away and hear him howling.... Can he smell a bitch back home and still be reacting to it? How long will it last as it isn't our girl who's in season!?!?

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It happens occasionally that there is ovarian tissue left behind after a spay, sometimes it forms where it's not supposed to be, like endometriosis in humans. The bitch will have all the normal scent and symptoms of a season, but not be able to get pregnant if the uterus has been removed. I'd have your vet do a blood test to see if there are any raised hormones, and if there are then the only solution would be further surgery to find and remove the tissue, which could be anywhere.
    Is your boy entire? Getting him castrated would be far the easier solution, but may not fix the problem completely.

Torin., O2.0, GOULDFISH and 2 others like this.
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Also worth noting some dogs react to a UTI in a bitch as if she were in heat. Usually not to that extent, but it's another possibility.
    In any case, I'd pop them both to the vet and explain what is going on.

GOULDFISH, lullabydream and Torin. like this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It could also be worth checking what sort of spay she had. It's unusual to have one done, particularly in the UK (don't know where you are) but in some countries an ovary-sparing spay would be an option, where just the uterus is removed and the ovaries are left in place. In this case, the bitch has a normal cycle in terms of hormone production and the effects on male dogs, but she is unable to become pregnant. Ovaries and testicles have other functions that reproduction, and some people prefer not to interfere with those.

Sairy, GOULDFISH, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice