Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! My dog is suddenly obsessed with destroying the couch!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Scottguilbert, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Scottguilbert

Scottguilbert PetForums Junior

Hi everybody. I’m looking for some help regarding my dog’s sudden destructive behaviour.

My 4 year old springer has always been very hyper and needy, but since his puppy days, he’s generally been a very well behaved dog. Never destroys anything or does anything naughty.

He’s left at home with our other dog for a few hours a day each weekday, during which time they both sleep and stroll about (we have a webcam which we use to keep an eye on them). This has been their routine ever since we got them.

About a month ago we got a new sofa. The dogs didn’t make any fuss of it and all has been normal. We came home from work last Wednesday to find the cushions had been pulled off the couch and a big hole had been ripped up in the back of the couch. We thought it was a one off and put the cushions back etc. Next day, same thing. The exact same spot of the couch had been made bigger and more sponge ripped out. Last night we went in the kitchen, came back into the lounge and caught him in the act. This was the first time we were able to ‘tell him off’ and stop him during it. We just got home from having a meal out and surprise suprise, its happened again!

My confusion with it all is firstly how he hasnt acted like this in years, but secondly, how focused the destruction is. The damage is limited to a tennis ball sized hole. I just cant think why this is happening. Any advice on why this might be happening along with how to stop it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Could he be hearing something in your sofa and is trying to access it perhaps ?

3. Scottguilbert

Ive had a look in and around the hole to see if theres any crumbs or a bug winding him up but cant see anything. I even encouraged him to return to the scene of the crime and show me what he wants but of course he’s lost interest at this point.

kittih likes this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I can't suggest why he's doing it, but you can stop it by not letting him have any access to it. Shut him in another room if you go out, or a crate.

O2.0 likes this.
  5. xxred_rosesxx

xxred_rosesxx PetForums Newbie

Does your dog get a walk before he's left at home? Im not really sure why yours is suddenly being destructive, has there been any sort of big change over the couple of weeks? When mine was a puppy he used to rip huge holes in our sofa and we found that it was mostly due to bordem and extra energy. So now I take him on a long 40 minute walk before I leave the house and he tends to just sleep.Our sofa has massive holes now every where, like the size of a large book so we have bought a sofa cover to cover it up :D

6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Obviously he doesn't like that new sofa!! Wonder if it's the smell - or just that a new thing has appeared in the house and he just doesn't know what to make of it; as far as he's concerned it could be a huge new chewtoy!
    I agree with @Burrowzig - make sure he doesn't get access to it in your absence. Problem solved.

Calvine likes this.
  7. Scottguilbert

We dont walk them in the morning no, but im only at work for 3 hours in the morning so they go out when i get back at lunch time.

The only thing thats changed in the house is the sofa itself and like i said we had it for a month before he started making that hole. And he keeps going back to that same hole instead of making more that i find strange.

Ive been putting a dog gate on the couch each morning and thats been doing the job, i just find the psychology of dogs very interesting and was keen to work out why it was happening.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice