UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old beagle is eating poo, it's vile, I can't understand it!

She is fed the reccomemded amount of dried food twice a day, I clean her toilet area frequently ( 2-3 times a day but she sometimes gets there before me) I think she is eating the older dogs poo too.

She has lots of treats and attention and walked daily.

I haven't that I'm aware of punished her for pooing ( even when house training we had very few poo accidents inside)

Any idea how to stop this disgusting behaviour, is it normal for a pup

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think its pretty normal. Malkie ate cow and horse poo like it was the best thing he has ever tasted. He grew out of it though occasionaly still eats rabbit poo

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eeeewwwww, yes Bessie also loves snacking on duck and goose poop on our walks!!!

She is getting better at 'leave it' And 'no!' but still I'm grossed out by eating dog poo!

·
Gobsh!te
7,128 Posts
my dog used to do this, the only thing we found stops him is to not let him have a chance to get the poop and pick it up straight away.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
quite normal and common thing for dogs to do. apparently feeding pineapple can help put them off the poo. apart from that you just need to be quick at picking it up. do it straight away and teach a good leave command for any on the streets.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
My 6 month old beagle is eating poo, it's vile, I can't understand it!

She is fed the reccomemded amount of dried food twice a day, I clean her toilet area frequently ( 2-3 times a day but she sometimes gets there before me) I think she is eating the older dogs poo too.

She has lots of treats and attention and walked daily.

I haven't that I'm aware of punished her for pooing ( even when house training we had very few poo accidents inside)

Any idea how to stop this disgusting behaviour, is it normal for a pup
There is several theories why they eat poop, one is that certain foods, have added flavourings and aromas added, so they pass out still tasting and smelling platable and interesting so are enticing. So might be worth looking at the food she is on and more importantly exactly what it contains. Sometimes changing to a more natural highly digestible type where whats passed it pure unappetising waste may help.

Another theory is that the diet is missing certain vitamins and minerals.

The third that it is boredom, and if it gets a lot of attention even if we think its negative attention its still a reaction, so rewarding them for doing it.

Its suggested that adding pineapple to their diets can help as the enzyme in pineapple makes it unappealing. That though seems to have varying reports as to the effectiveness. Something that might be worth trying though.

There is also something called stool repel-um by mark and chappel, that is supposed to make it unappealing, you can use that from 6months of age
M&C Stool Repel-UM

If you dont try changing the food a good supplement added may even help
Bionic Biotic is good Ive personally found
Probiotic for Dogs | Bionic Biotic | Dog Health Supplement | Pooch and Mutt

Other then that making sure its quickly cleared away everytime and there is none left about can help.

Also retraining and making something else more rewarding can help also.
You need to be out with her/them though every time. As soon as she poops you need a distraction and then an alternative behaviour for her to do thats more rewarding.

Timings important too not only to stop her as soon as she poops, but also in the fact that you dont want to reward the actual poop eating, but for leaving it and doing the alternative behaviour instead.

Destractions that you can try is when finished and she goes for it say Ahh, Ahh and call her to you with a really favourite food/treat offered, good irresitible ones are usually cheese, chicken hotdogs, sausages hot dogs anything liver based, get her to come to you and sit and wait and then treat though, because then you are sure that there is no confusion and that its the coming sitting and waiting alternative behaviour shes being rewarded for and leaving the poop.

If she is toy driven, then you can use a squeaky toy, if that her thing, squeaking the toy to distract as soon as she has pooped, but still get her to come to you away from it, and sit and wait and either use the toy/game as reward or a treat.

A whistle too otherwise may help, you can start indoors priming it, by having favourite treats, and for each whistle blow, immediately treat, walk around and she should keep attention on you following, just walk around whistle treat whistle treat. Once she has got the concept, try blowing the whistle as soon as shes finished pooping, getting her to come to you away from it, then the sit wait and the treat. If you teach her this you can also probably use it for recall when out too, to the whistle.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Dont worry about it Bubba did it at that age got bored of it after a couple of weeks. Think its a very normal but vile thing our little rascals do.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
When we go to our friends house all our dogs put their bibs on and pull up a chair to the rabbit poo pile! And Daisy is 8! :drool:

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Remy is 7 and he eats all types of poo not his own...

He seems to think poo is a food suppliment , we tried various off putting techniques, teaching him spit, a squeaky ball, offering treats if he left it and came, I even got a muzzle at one point but that wasnt a success..He reverts back to poo eating every now and then.

He is never sick and tests show he is as healthy as he can be..

I try to discourage him but if he does eat some.. Ive learned to live with it..
Luckily he doesnt mind having his teeth brushed regularly!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, I thought it was my little rascal being a dirty, I've struggled to get on on a diet that suited her delicate constitution and it probably is the food, so I may try pineapple as she will eat most things. I do try quick clear ups but with 2 kids I struggle to wait for her to do her business so I do leave her outside down the side of the house (the toilet area) whilst seeing to the kids. Really hope she grows out of it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.