Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help! my dog is chewing off his bangages!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by trabonita, Aug 18, 2009.

1. trabonita

trabonita PetForums Member

My dog had his foot operation yesterday and is determined to pull off his bandage. We have a lamp shade thingy but unbelievely he can still reach his foot with it on! I'm pretty sure he will expose the wound fairly soon, any suggestions?

2. rona

rona Guest

Can you put a sock over the bandage

3. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Not too sure what to suggest apart from maybe seeing if vets have larger lampshade collar that would be longer or a raw marrow bone to take his mind off it.
    Hope something works for you.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

This happened with my dog, the bandage was too tight at her back leg joint, it pinched the skin or something - anyway she has a scar there now. Go back to the vet, the vet nurse should re-bandage. Normally (at least with my vet) aftercare of surgery is included in the price you paid.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I agree with burrowzig. Could very well be an overtight dressing, sadly all too common. They can cause more problems that they solve sometimes if not put on properly.

6. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

If the bandage isn't to tight and your dog is still determined to pull the bandage of you could always try putting some vile tasting stuff on the bandage to try and deter him, I'm thinking along the lines of rubbing a very hot chilli pepper on it, as long as it can't get through to the wound.

Terri

7. trabonita

trabonita PetForums Member

thanks for the replies. we took him back to the vet and he decided to leave the dressing off, funnily enough he hasn't been that fussed about the wound so I'm wondering if it might have been a bit tight.

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My boy has hurt his foot and I have had toput a pair of tights ontop of the banage! and keep spraying it with vinegar so he doesnt chew it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice