Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help my dog is being aggressive towards my daughter and don't no why ??? (Upset bulldog mummy)

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Redwards195870, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Redwards195870

Redwards195870 PetForums Newbie

We have a 4 year old English bulldog who we have had for 3 years . She came from a rescue and very scared ,OCD etc . We have recently moved house . She has always been kind and loving in nature but these past few days she has been acting weird and growling and launching for my 5 year old daughter ! I'm quite concerned as she is like family and need advice please ???

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

First things first, any change of behavior, especially aggression, warrants a vet visit to make sure there is nothing medical going on.
    Until then, make sure to keep dog and child separated.

Moving house will be a stressful event for the dog to begin with. How was her relationship with your daughter up until now? Did they interact much? What kind of interactions do they have?

Lilylass, Twiggy and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Redwards195870

We have got an appointment tommorow at the vets as she is having her glands emptied as she hasn't had them done for a while due to the house move etc so that may be causing her pain . They where inseparable always kissing each other and cuddling ! Now nel is becoming nervous ,anxious and protective to us all apart from our daughter who she snarls at growls and leaps to get her ! I suffer from anxiety myself so it's. It helping me as I'm a worrying wreck . I love my dog so much but my daughter comes first

4. Redwards195870

Also she is not eating much and being generally lethargic

5. ouesi

ouesi Guest

This jumped out at me as a red flag.
    In general, dogs don't like kissing and hugging and cuddling. Your bitch may have been tolerant of that before, even though she didn't like it, but now that she has the added stress of the move and maybe pain with anal gland issues, she may have hit the end of her rope.

I'm just guessing here as obviously I have not seen your dog in person, but my instinct is that she has become sensitized to your daughter's affections and is now reacting to just the presence of your daughter.

Would you say with the kissing and cuddling that your daughter initiates the interactions, or is it a case of the dog seeks your daughter out to come cuddle her?

6. Redwards195870

My dog is so loving and always been protective of my children and like a mummy to them , she always kisses them my dog does and absolutely loves cuddles and belly rubs . She generally barks for cuddles that's how placid and loving she is . Last night she did the growling in the bedroom when my daughter came in so we separated them told Nell she was naughty then after school today we put her on her lead and introduced our daughter again as she come in the front door and all was fine ,kisses cuddles etc but soon as nel went in our room she relaxed then our daughter came in and again she snapped and went for her but obviously my husband wouldn't allow her to run off the bed ! I'm just so upset as we are generally a family unit and protect each other

7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Couple of questions.
    1. Does the growling always happen in the bedroom?
    2. Have you always told Nell off for growling?
    3. When Nell kisses your daughter, is it Nell who approaches your daughter, or is it your daughter who approaches Nell?

8. Redwards195870

Yes the past few days it's been in the bedroom . Yes we do tell her off but she is not a sociable dog as she doesn't like other dogs or children due to her past and don't know why ?
    It's a bit of both with the kissing but mainly th dog who kisses my daughter

9. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Again, it's just an educated guess on my part based on your posts, but it sounds like the anxiety of the move may have triggered some resource guarding of your bedroom. She may think of it as her safe place and feel the need to guard it.

Please stop telling her off for growling. She sounds like a very anxious dog and the telling off is going to be counter productive in so many ways, not the least of which is you're removing her early warning mechanism. Growls are always preferable to a bite, and if you remove the early warning system (growl), the next step is a bite.
    No, I'm not saying it's okay for her to be growling at your daughter, but what you want to address is the anxiety that is causing her to feel the need to growl. In other words, the growl is a symptom of a much bigger issue. Treat the anxiety and unease, not the symptom. This of course you will need to do with a good behaviorist. If you can share where you're located, hopefully a member can recommend someone in your area.

What I was asking with the kissing was not who kisses who, but who initiates it. Does Nell go up to your daughter and kiss her, or does your daughter go up to Nell and hug and kiss her.
    In either case, I would stop those interactions entirely until you get a proper assessment from a professional. Just keep dog and child separated. Baby gates, separate rooms, crating if necessary... Just keep them apart from each other entirely.
    In general it's also a good idea for all family dogs to have a "safe space". Basically a place where they can go and know that no one (kids especially) will bother them. Children in the home should understand that when the dog is in her safe space they are to completely leave her alone and not bother her.

Jamesgoeswalkies and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If its only happened in the last few days, and she is showing other possible signs of being unwell like not eating and being lethargic too, then that could be the problem
    dogs who are in discomfort pain or being unwell do often show changes in behaviour and can even become aggressive and re-direct the behaviour.
    Is she spayed and if she is has she had a season in the last few weeks or even up to a couple of months or so, if so, hormones remain high for 60 even up to 90days and in this time, its the most common to get things like uterine infections and even things like phantom pregnancies that can alter behaviour.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice