Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP, my dog bolted :(

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by tulin, Nov 18, 2018.

1. tulin

tulin PetForums Newbie

hi, i really would appreciate some help on this one.
    my partner took the dog out last week and he bolted home. (luckily it was home he went!) just ran away and left her in the park. i put it down to something must of spooked him as he is a bit of a wuss.
    However we both took him out this evening and he bolted off. no warning no nothing, just ran full pelt towards the exit of the park. luckily i got his attention before he reached the road and managed to call him back. (i did not chase i stood still). plenty of praise was given on his return.
    NOTHING could have possibly spooked him. no loud noises happened, no one else was in the park and he was by my side before he ran. i really am so confused and so worried this is going to be an on going issue as i have no clue on why he did this or how to stop this. im trying to be as engaging as i can while with him.

he is a 11 months supposedly lab x rescue. i have had him a little over 2 months and have walked him off leash all different places (woods, beach, moors) with no problems. he is usually very responsive to me.

any help and advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

#1 tulin, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

It may appear to us that nothing spooked him but dogs have a far higher ability to smell and hear than we do and so it may be that there is something in the park unbeknown to us, that unsettles him and therefore triggers flight. However it may well be that he now has association and that a noise/smell/visual that he experienced previously in the park now triggers the same response every time he goes back.

Either way i would pop him on a long line when exercising there so you can prevent him running off whilst rebuilding his confidence in that area. If he is highly anxious there however it may be best to give the park a miss for a while, top up his training and his confidence elsewhere and then return to the park again in a couple of months.

J

Sarah H, Sarah1983, kimthecat and 4 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Use a harness and long line/flexi and work on recall, otherwise this will become a habit.

Don’t let him off again until you’re pretty sure he’s “got it” and practise first in a secure area.

Look at kikopup and positively.com for tips.

kimthecat and tabelmabel like this.
  4. Chatcat

Chatcat Guest

It sounds a bit like he is having a fear phase. I do hope it doesn't last very long, but it can be months. Get a long line or flexi and never let him off until it has passed. I sympathise, because my collie x bolted home several times before I worked out what was going on. As the others said, give the park a miss, concentrate on developing the recall bond, and try to have fun over 'walking'.

Lurcherlad, kimthecat and tabelmabel like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice