Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! My dad is scared to take the family dog to the vet!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mack23, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Mack23

Mack23 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for the advice.

Our family dog Trixie is not well. She’s very much loved and with some of her ailments the past few months we have been advising our Dad to take her to the vets. She’s his more than anything. But although he loves her very much he is unwilling to take her as he feels it would be that time to say farewell.
    We are now very concerned as her back legs seem to now be giving in. Also we are worried about how long her nails are and what the vet might say. She’s had very little exercise as she’s just not able to walk as she used to.
    Should we be worried about the vet?
    And how can we get Dad to take her to see them?
    Thanks again

2. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

A vet cannot make your Dad have your dog PTS they can advise you what is best for your dog though

3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Totally appreciate how he feels, having just been through this with my guinea pig. @niamh123 is right - the vet can only advise. Your dad will need to sign a consent form to give permission for pts. Your dad will definitely be able to bring trixie home whilst you all think what is best and prepare.

And, who knows, maybe something can be done. I knew my pig was in a bad way with liver failure. When i took him in though, close to the end - the vet was happy to prescribe painkillers which gave me an additional 2 weeks. In the end, even i could see the time was right.

It is awful though

Mack23, kimthecat, AmsMam and 4 others like this.
  4. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

Loving her very much means doing the right thing for her! Her condition(s) may well be easily treated, you/he will never know if she doesn't see a vet.

Try to make him understand that he's not helping her, she could be in pain & surely he doesn't want that?

5. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Try to make your dad understand, loving her means he should be doing the best for her, not for himself. Its hard, we all know that on here & its only when you truly love that you are prepared to put their well being before your own. You do not say how old the dog is, You do say she is not getting much exercise tho & that is a sure sign of a dog going down hill before its time. Ask your dad How he would feel if eventually he has to take her to the vet and the vet says "if only you had bought her in earlier we could have done something for her"! How would be live with that?
    Please think of the dog and if your dad really is unwilling to see what needs to be done then please take the dog yourself, no vet will ever make the decision to put a dog to sleep all they can do is advise if that should be thought about. The vet will not think ill of your dad if the dogs nails need clipping they know how hard it can be to do a dogs nails (my vet does my dogs as I am too frightened to hurt her if I do it myself!)
    If its a case of how much it would cost to see a vet then the PDSA or something similar might be able to help.

6. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

It sounds like a very difficult situation for you all but one that can't be allowed to go on.Poor Trixie is obviously in need of medical attention and,although I realise how difficult it must be,to deny her this attention is neglect.Could you or someone else offer to take her to the vets with your father to offer moral support.I'm afraid that the privilege of having a dog brings certain responsibilities with it and ensuring proper medical care is one of these.Good luck to you all and please let us known how Trixie gets on at the vets.

Mack23, kimthecat, LinznMilly and 2 others like this.
  7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

In my opinion, your Dad is being selfish.

He may well be making his dog suffer so that he doesn't have to.

He needs to do what is the right thing and take her to the Vet. The Vet can only advise, but any decision to have her put to sleep will be made by your Dad.

The Vet will not have anything to say about her claws, but will be able to clip them, which should make her more comfortable.

Mack23, lorilu, Burrowzig and 2 others like this.
  8. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

You haven't mentioned the age or breed of the dog, so while having sore back legs is oviously an issue, it doesn't mean it's the end. There are various meds and treatments the vet could try first so unless very very old its highely unlikely the vet is going to tell you that PTS is the best option on the first visit!

Mack23, DaisyBluebell and tabelmabel like this.
  9. Taz69

Taz69 PetForums Junior

Is it not worth getting her nails clipped now.
    I do agree with others who say that it sounds like she needs to see a vet but would it not be worth getting her nails clipped as this could be a partial source of your dogs discomfort and getting them clipped may be of benefit and help steady her back legs a little.

Mack23 and DaisyBluebell like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice