Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP my cat keep going toilet round the house

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Terrilou1985, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Terrilou1985

Terrilou1985 PetForums Newbie

my cat is not using the litter tray and keeps going toilet round the house I've tried a few things and don't know what else to try any advice received I'm at my wits end

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Terrilou1985 and welcome :)

First of all have you taken your cat to the vet? It is possible the cat has a urinary tract infection (UTI) or cystitis. Such a condition will be likely to make her avoid the tray as she will associate the tray with pain. She will prefer to pee on soft surfaces like carpets or beds. How often a day is she peeing? Are they big pees or lots of frequent small pees?

A UTI needs to be ruled out by the vet before you look at the soiling being caused by anything else.

Is she an outdoor cat?

Is she your only pet?

How old is she?

How long have you had her?

How long has the soiling been going on?

Does she use the tray for pooing in ok? Are her stools normal? Firm and formed like sausages? Not dry and hard or soft? How often does she poo in 24 hours?

Has anything changed in your home recently - new arrivals, human or pet? Work being done on the house? Visitors staying?

Until we can work out what is upsetting her, I advise you to put down a couple of extra litter trays. She should have two for herself anyway if she is an indoor cat. One tray to pee in one to poo in as most cats prefer. The trays should be open not covered and located in quiet spots in the house where she will have privacy . Do not put both (all) trays in the same place.

Use a litter that is as much like sand as possible to encourage her to use it. Fine grain litters like Worlds Best or Cats Best Oko Plus are liked by most cats. Make sure the trays are scooped twice a day every day and remove poo a.s.a.p after it is deposited in the tray. Make the litter in the tray about 2 and a half inches deep so she can dig before she uses it if she wants to.

What is her diet? A cat with any kind of bladder problem like yours needs to be on a wet food diet, NO dry food at all. Sometimes a wet food diet is all that is needed to resolve a soiling issue.

Cats are not very good at drinking enough water. On a dry food diet they would need to drink about a third of a pint of water a day to hydrate the dry food, and it would be rare for a cat to drink that much. Dry food can cause low level chronic dehydration which is bad for kidneys, bladder and bowel.

3. Terrilou1985

Terrilou1985 PetForums Newbie

Hi, no I've not taken her to the vets she is still a kitten she was born beginning of April she's not the only cat I kept her brother and we have mum to we also have a dog but they were born around her. Thing is she won't even attempt to go in the litter tray I don't know how many times a day she goes or how big or little they are we do have 2 trays down. The type of litter we prefer is the wood based one as easier to clean and doesn't smell

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If she is a kitten still then she has not been properly litter tray trained. You need to start again with the training with lots patience and kindness or you will never train her.

I advise to experiment with other litters. Cats are often v. particular about the type of litters they use, not all of them like the wood based litters. We use wood pellet litter at the Shelter because it's very cheap, and we have not much money, but many cats don't like it.

Most cats like the litters I recommended to you. Good quality clumping litters like the ones I recommended to you do NOT smell and are very easy to scoop. A bag lasts ages and the tray rarely needs a complete change, just top ups.

Restrict your kitten to one room in the house with her trays, food, water, bed etc. and do not allow her all over the house until she is trained to use the trays. Have her in one room with a hard floor if possible as it is easier to clean. Do not shut her away from your other cats though. If she pees on the floor mop it up with paper towel or loo roll and put it in the tray. Do not ever tell her off for soiling the floor, you will make her worse.

If you still find it difficult to train your kitten after you've tried the above then I advise you to buy or borrow a large folding dog crate and set it up in the living room where kitty can see everyone and not feel left out. Then put her in the crate with her litter tray, her food and water, her toys, her scratch post and her bed. That way she will be close to her litter tray at all times and will learn to use it. If she won't use the tray remove the litter and put a puppy training pad in it instead. Change the pads as soon as soiled. Once she is using the pads slowly add litter a bit more each day on top of the pad.

Folding dog crate:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Double-Door-Folding-Metal-Crate/dp/B018YCU79O/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1498512873&sr=8-11&keywords=folding+dog+crate&th=1

You can let her out to play in the one room a couple of times a day but ONLY when you are there to watch her like a hawk and gently pop her in the tray when necessary.

Feed her wet food only, Dry food will only make things worse.

Use an enzyme cleaner to clean up urine. Or make a solution of bio laundry liquid. Do not use disinfectant, bleach or antibac.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice