Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help my Cat Is Pregnant

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Doph, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doph

Doph PetForums Newbie

We found out today that my cat is pregnant. I have 1 female and 2 male cats and it seems they’ve been up to mischief. I’m happy about her being pregnant. I need some advice though please...first of a preparing her for birth: I’m worried about the nesting area. She hasn’t started to nest yet as I’ve noticed but I wanted to get her an area set up. The vet said to separate her from the other cats (not the kittens) but I feel awful about it. Is it best put her in a separate room completely for the next few weeks or keep them in the same room but in a pet pen? They miss each other like crazy when they are separate. What is best to use for her birthing space? I want her to be as comfy as possible. Me and my partner also work full time, is it best for me to take the day off with her whilst she is giving birth or will she be fine on her own? As I’ve seen websites saying about cutting her chord?!?!? Sorry for the essay but I just want to do the best for her. Thank you for any help everyone x

2. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Hi @Doph and welcome. I warn you now, pregnancy in cats which isn't planned causes emotions to run high here on the forums. You will get some great advice but you will also hear things that you perhaps don't want to. However, please remember that people are giving you advise based on what is best for your cats - and if there's one thing I am sure of, it's that the people here really care about the welfare of cats.

The first thing I would advise you to do is to read the sticky "Just one Litter" written by "our" forum vet, it may give you a different perspective on things:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/just-one-litter.488385/

The second thing I would say is to please take your male cats to be neutered. Both of them. As soon as possible. If they are outdoor cats, they could be impregnating non-spayed females in the neighbourhood and this desire to breed may cause them to roam well out of their usual territory. If they are indoor, then the spraying can become problematic with entire males - and can be rather whiffy! They may also exhibit other less than desirable behaviours if they are not castrated.

The third thing is that depending upon how many days pregnant your female cat is, you may still be able to have her spayed (and an accidental pregnancy terminated) - though you say you are happy she is pregnant so perhaps this wouldn't be the route you would choose.

Fourthly, yes, your cat will need someone with her when she gives birth (and again, there are stickies on the forum about prepping for births/what to do/what you need). What happens if she gets into difficulties? You could lose your cat and her kittens, sometimes they do need to have a caesarean.

As I say, you may not want to hear all that will be said - but we do have many experienced breeders here on the forums, who I hope will share their vast knowledge. I am just a moggie owner who feels passionately about cats being neutered (both sexes). When the kittens are born, I would politely ask that you consider an early neuter before they go to their new home (or indeed if you are keeping any yourself), as per https://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do/neutering/enr

I really do hope your cat has a straightforward pregnancy and delivery.

ribbon, Rufus15, AmsMam and 4 others like this.
  3. Raggie08

Raggie08 PetForums Member

I recommend neutering your males, please remember they can be fertile for a few weeks after neutering. She must not give birth alone, I advise either you or your partner take a few days off work both sides of her due date, have the emergency vets number on standby, just incase she needs a c-section. Mum can be spayed at the same time as the Kitten's and they can be rehomed from 12 weeks old if that's what you are planning.

spotty cats likes this.
  4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Males remain fertile for up to 10 weeks following neutering.

5. Raggie08

Thank you, I knew it was a while but wasn’t sure the actual length of time xx

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

So the sooner the better... I hope these are not brothers & sister.

7. Raggie08

I hope they are not brothers and sister either :(

#7 Raggie08, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  8. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

For the last week of the pregnancy you will need to look at separating her. Your bedroom is ideal, easy to check on her and your present if she kittens overnight

9. David C

David C PetForums Senior

You WILL need to separate her from the boys otherwise you run the risk of the kittens getting hurt. Some boys will try mating your girl within hours of her giving birth and pester her constantly, this will cause her untold stress because she is trying to keep her babies safe, the babies could get hurt easily so make sure she is kept well away from the boys at all times and also females can come back into season very quickly in the spring and summer months after giving birth and you don't want her getting pregnant again.

10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

OP hasn't been back since her original post,so I hope she will accept the advice given.
    I'll close this thread now but hopefully she will come back and update us.:Locktopic

Raggie08 and OrientalSlave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice