Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help, my cat is bored and won’t play with toys or settle down

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Robbie2016, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Robbie2016

Robbie2016 PetForums Newbie

My rescue cat is 13 years old and in the past has been severely abused. As such we’re not allowed to let her out of the garden. Which was fine in our old house. We have had to move due to my job and we’re now in a work owned house. As such it is not kitty proof and is unable to be made kitty proof due to fence height, foxes and other wild animals. So we’re unable to let roam in the garden as much as she did. We sit out with her four times a day at least. But the rest of the time she is bored.

We have brought her enrichment toys but other than her Mr Owl teddy (that she plays and sleeps with) she is not interested in anything. I should add that her mum died in November and she was the protector so this also has had an affect on our cat.

she is a older cat and due to her past has always needed extra attention and reassurance which we give but she’s now playing up more than ever for attention and is not settling down to nap. There is always someone home, so she’s not left alone. Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Robbie2016 and welcome :)

I understand you don't own the house you are now living in but you could put up a wood and mesh cat enclosure, attached to the house so your cat could access it during the daytime when you are at home through an open back door or French Window. These enclosures are not permanent fixtures and if they are at the back of the house do not need planning permission from the council.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catio-Ho...008081?hash=item3f9e229c91:g:084AAOSwQQBbB9oE

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catio-Ca...273242?hash=item5b6a9684da:g:WjMAAOSwlyBeFa-k

You could put in shelves, outdoor cat trees, and cat friendly plants (such as cat nip and cat thyme).

It would at least give her some safe outdoor time. :)

Treaclesmum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice