Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! My cat has 21 different allergies.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Julie61, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Julie61

Julie61 PetForums Newbie

Hello, My 10 month old Sphinx cat has been allergy tested at the vet and she has 21 different allergies.
    She is allergic to: Pork, Chicken, Kangaroo, Ostrich, Beef, White Fish, Salmon, Lamb, Duck, Rabbit, Veal, Turkey, Rice, Barley, Wheat, Soy, Eggs, Milk, Cheese, Maize and Potatoes.

The vets have never come across a cat with this many allergies and we are struggling to find a suitable food for her.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

#1 Julie61, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  2. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

You can buy Bozita from Zooplus. They have reindeer. I can’t see that on your list. They have lots of grain free food.

3. Julie61

Julie61 PetForums Newbie

Thankyou for your reply but Bozita reindeer contains chicken as well as the venison.

sandy-cat likes this.
  4. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

Goodness!! That is quite a list of different protein, although the other things don't surprise me really as cats are designed to eat such things. Is there anywhere near you that's licensed to sell game? You could feed her raw pheasant, grouse, partridge, ptarmigan and deer.

But I'm interested to know what led you to have these tests in the first place? What do feed her at the moment?

5. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

Have you actually tried your cat with all of those foods and ruled them out as unsuitable for her ?I've been led to believe that allergy testing for cats isn't particularly reliable so it may be that your cat could eat something in that list.

I myself have a cat who is intolerant of cooked chicken, turkey, duck, lamb, beef, venison, goat, kangaroo, soya, rabbit , reindeer and eggs (,both chicken and quail ). He does however tolerate pork muscle meat ,both cooked and raw, although not pork offal. Have you tried your cat with any complete raw foods? Cooking alters ( denatures ) proteins so it's possible that she may be able to tolerate one of those proteins raw .Until I tried my cat with raw pork I'd never found a single protein which he could eat without vomiting with increasing frequency. Since moving him onto a raw diet he's made progress for the first time in his life. I do honestly think that raw could be the answer for your girl.

sandy-cat likes this.
  6. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

You cannot diagnose food allergies with blood tests.

It's a common misconception amongst vets and owners - but even the labs selling the tests are careful to point out that their test does not diagnose food allergy.

What you have is a list of foods that your cat *may* react to. You now need to select a food without those ingredients to do a food trial. It's the food trial that diagnoses food allergy, not the blood test.

@chillminx is a guru on elimination diets.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi there, yes, I have ideas for you :)

1) ROPOCAT makes single protein deer (venison). Sold by Fuettern-mit-spass in Germany.

https://www.fuettern-mit-spass.de/k...opocat-holistic-edelhirsch-mit-hirse/a-18180/

Millet is used as the fibre content (no wheat, barley, soya, maize or potatoes) .

Ingredients: Deer (63%), Broth (27%), Millet (4%), Carrots (2.5%), Zuccini (2%), Minerals (1%), Thistle Seed Oil (0.5%)

Meat content consists of genuine striated muscle meat (20%) and high-quality offal (heart and stomachs 30%, liver, lungs, throat and kidneys 50%))

2) ROPOCAT makes single protein Horse, with no added vegetables or grains :

https://www.fuettern-mit-spass.de/k...ocat-sensitive-gold-feines-pferd-pur/a-18177/

Composition:
    Meat and animal by-products (100% horse), minerals

3) VET CONCEPT makes single protein goat meat cat food, which contains parsnips as fibre (instead of grains or potatoes).

SOFT PREMIUM NUTRITIONAL FOOD GOAT Complete feed for cats

Composition:
    Meat and animal by-products (goat meat) (68%), vegetables (parsnips), oils and fats (hemp oil), minerals, inulin

https://www.vet-concept.com/für-die-katze/nassnahrung/katzenmenü-ziege

And Vet Concept makes single protein horse (Sana) which also contains parsnips as the fibre content.

4) CAT SANA is a very tasty wet food with only one selected protein and carbohydrate source. The easily digestible nutrients help to reduce nutrient intolerance in cats and can be used as part of an elimination diet. With essential fatty acids (0.4%)

Composition:
    Meat and animal by-products (horse 68%), vegetables (parsnips 8%), oils and fats (rapeseed oil 0.5%), minerals

(Note : Vet Concept also makes single protein Reindeer, but it contains potato as the fibre content, so give that a miss).

FOOD TRIALS:

Stage 1
    a) Identify (through trial and error) which one of the above wet foods your cat is happy to eat, (she will need to eat it for at least 9 weeks) and that will be the "novel protein"you use for her "elimination diet" as our forum vet Ceiling Kitty advised.

b) An "elimination diet" is when you feed your cat the novel protein for at least 9 weeks. Strictly nothing else except water.

Stage 2
    a) At the end of the 9 week period start reintroducing other meat proteins, one at a time, no more often than one a month. This is done to "challenge" her immune response.

b) All foods must be single protein and grain-free.

b) Keep a diary of daily symptoms during this part of the process.

c) The most common food allergens in cats are beef, (inc veal), chicken and fish, so leave those until last.

d) The order I suggest is :

turkey,
    lamb,
    pork,
    rabbit,
    kangaroo,
    venison (if it was not used as her novel protein),
    beef
    fish
    chicken

e) all of the above meats are available as single protein canned cat foods, from Zooplus, Zoo-bio UK, Fuettern-mit-spass or Vet Concept. (I can provide names & makes of foods and links for you)

f) once you have identified her food intolerances through the challenges, exclude the culprit foods from her diet permanently.

g) Feed her a rotated diet of the remaining single protein foods, ensuring she does not eat the same meat protein more often ideally than once every 5 days.

h) feed only single protein wet foods in her rotation - no dry food.

Please let me know if I can advise further. :)

#7 chillminx, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  8. Julie61

Julie61 PetForums Newbie

Hello, thankyou for your reply, We haven't got no one that sells these type of meat near us.

She has diarrhoea from the day we got her so we took her to the vets and they put her on royal canin, it didn't help the diarrhoea and she started to vomit so we had a pancreatic test done which came out positive so she was put on medication and a different kind of royal canin food but nothing worked so we have a malabsorption and a ibd test done which came out as negative so the next option was to have an allergy test done which was 25 common allergies and she was positive for 21 of them, she vomits daily and has to have injections for anti-sickness which doesn't always work. At the moment we are feeding her veal and rabbit (Granatapet) for the first 4 days while she was on it she stopped vomiting but after the 4 days she started vomiting again.

9. Julie61

Julie61 PetForums Newbie

Thankyou for your reply.

Is raw food safe for her as she has been diagnosed for pancreatitis.
    Ive heard raw food is dangerous for cats with a weakened immune system.

10. Julie61

Julie61 PetForums Newbie

Hello, thankyou for your reply.

We are having a hard time keeping anything inside her, at the moment she is going 2-3 times a week to the vets for anti-sickness injections which don't allways work.
    She also has pancreatitis.

We have been on zooplus but we cant seem to find any single protein foods, they all seem to have more than one type of meat, any list that you could give us would be great.
    Are the foods from Fuettern-mit-spass and Vet Concept available in the uk?

11. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Could your girl's symptoms be caused by the pancreatitis if it is chronic? Perhaps @Ceiling Kitty could advise on this.

12. Julie61

Julie61 PetForums Newbie

Hello, Thankyou for your reply.

We recently did a retest at the vets for pancreatitis and the test says that the pancreatitis is under control and that something else was causing the sickness and diarrhoea that's why we did an allergy test.

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

1/ There are quite a few single protein foods available on Zooplus but they are not novel proteins. I already explained what "novel protein" means - it means a meat the cat has never eaten before.

2/ Yes, we can buy the foods from Fuettern-mit-spass and Vet Concept in the UK, no problem at all. If you are accustomed to buying from Zooplus (as you seem to be) then it's no different buying from Vet Concept or Fuettern-mit-spass. There is a delivery charge to the UK, but that's the only difference.

3/ if you want to sort out an allergy-free diet for your cat, this is the best way forward.

4/ Chopping and changing, trying this food then that food won't work because it is too ad hoc and not a scientific process. Unlike a properly conducted elimination diet.

What have you got to lose? o_O

moggie14, sandy-cat and lea247 like this.
  14. Julie61

Julie61 PetForums Newbie

Hello, Thankyou for your reply.

On some foods after 4 days she starts throwing it up, so if she starts throwing up the novel protein do I stick to it or change to a different novel protein?

Many Thanks.

15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If she started throwing up a novel protein after a few days it would be unlikely to be due to an allergy, as allergies do not develop that quickly to novel proteins. Allergies develop to foods that have been fed day after day for months or years. If she threw it up it could be the food might be too rich in offal for her. Or it could be there was something else going on with her digestive system.

When you say she "throws up" does she bring up food undigested,(regurgitation) or does she bring up food partly digested, as lumps or a liquid? (vomiting)? If she is regurgitating then it could be because she has too much gastric acid in her stomach, or that she ate it too quickly because she had gotten too hungry between meals etc. .

What is your pattern for feeding her - how many times a day and what times? Do you leave food for her overnight in a timed feeder?

What are her bowel movements like - how often does she poo and are the stools firm and formed, or are they soft or loose?

Does she ever strain to defecate? Does she always use her litter tray/box for pee and poo?

You can't keep feeding her a food that makes her vomit so if it were to happen with the novel protein you'd have to switch her to a different novel protein. Sometimes the owner has to switch novel proteins anyway because the cat refuses to eat the novel protein food the owner chose for them.

Lurcherlad, OrientalSlave and Torin. like this.
  16. Julie61

Julie61 PetForums Newbie

Hello, Thankyou for the reply.

She throws up within 2 minutes of eating it, so it is undigested.
    We feed her as the vet recommends, every 1 1/2 to 2 hours, a table spoon at a time.
    She has a automatic feeder for nighttime.
    She allways has diarrhea, she doesnt strain but allways goes in a litter tray.
    She has Ranitidine for her stomach acid so it shouldnt be that.
    She has had ultrasounds and x rays to rule out blockages.
    She cant eat it too quickly as we give her a bit at a time.

17. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Have you asked the breeder if there has been a similar problem in her line? If there has, how was it dealt with.

Lurcherlad, chillminx and Torin. like this.
  18. Julie61

Julie61 PetForums Newbie

no I have not been in touch with the breeder but mum and dad where fully checked for the problems that are associated with sphynx cats and I also had copies of the grandparents records and there was nothing showing up also we were careful to pick a reputable breeder and we went into lots of details about the mum and dad of our sphynx just to make sure we were getting a health kitten. He kept the brother to our girl and mum and brother look in really good condition

19. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

There are problems in all lines in all breeds although not necessarily ones that can be identified by testing. In any case, a reputable breeder would wish to know about problems like this. If your girl has a food allergy, that is something that is often present in lines and if it has been dealt with successfully in other cats they may be able to give suggestions of things to try. Similarly, pancreatitis tends to be in lines. My line had it and I know where it came from.

Torin., Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  20. Julie61

Julie61 PetForums Newbie

thankyou for your reply i will ask her breeder if he has had any problems and see what he says.as mum was a first time mum and he kept the brother he should know if there was any problems i would of thought.will let you know the outcome many thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice